Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1491044  by Otto Vondrak

Southeastern Michigan Transportation Authority ceased commuter service between Detroit and Pontiac, Mich., in October 1983.

When did Metro-North acquire the SEMTA coaches? When were they retired and sold off? One source tells me they arrived in 1984, others say 1985. SEMTA had two series of coaches, smoothside Pullman Standard cars (which were repainted and became MN 4800-series coaches), and also smoothside stainless steel cars (which retained their orange stripes and simply had MN decals applied).

Thank you,

-otto-
 #1491118  by NaugyRR

Is this the same transit authority where SLE got their original cab cars from (the ones with the muffler on the roof)?
 #1491126  by DutchRailnut

no those came from PAtrain in Pittsburgh Pa
 #1491157  by Ridgefielder

Otto Vondrak wrote:Southeastern Michigan Transportation Authority ceased commuter service between Detroit and Pontiac, Mich., in October 1983.

When did Metro-North acquire the SEMTA coaches? When were they retired and sold off? One source tells me they arrived in 1984, others say 1985. SEMTA had two series of coaches, smoothside Pullman Standard cars (which were repainted and became MN 4800-series coaches), and also smoothside stainless steel cars (which retained their orange stripes and simply had MN decals applied).

Thank you,

-otto-
Am I right in thinking that the SEMTA coaches were HEP-equipped and leased by MN so the last steam-heated equipment could be retired?
 #1491190  by Backshophoss

Most of the SEMTA cars landed on Hudson line trains,a few landed in the 2 Danbury thru trains,replacing the "worst" ex NH 8600 coaches.
 #1491213  by TomNelligan

Ridgefielder wrote:Am I right in thinking that the SEMTA coaches were HEP-equipped and leased by MN so the last steam-heated equipment could be retired?
The SEMTA cars were steam heated and ran behind FL9s. They were former PRR and UP coaches that had been reconfigured with high density seating for Detroit commuter service.
 #1491246  by DutchRailnut

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3986361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr1200/mnc108.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1491247  by NaugyRR

Thanks for the pictures and the correction on the cab cars, Dutch.

I'm kind of surprised the MBTA didn't get these cars along with the GP9's that they picked up from SEMTA.
 #1491251  by DutchRailnut

MBTA as usual, just was not quick enough with a bid of sufficient value .
 #1491261  by Ridgefielder

TomNelligan wrote:
Ridgefielder wrote:Am I right in thinking that the SEMTA coaches were HEP-equipped and leased by MN so the last steam-heated equipment could be retired?
The SEMTA cars were steam heated and ran behind FL9s. They were former PRR and UP coaches that had been reconfigured with high density seating for Detroit commuter service.
They were brought on as stop-gaps until all the Shoreliners were delivered and the FL-9s equipped were equipped w HEP, right?
 #1491284  by irtredbirdr33

Otto: The Detroit-Pontiac commuter service was discontinued in the fall of 1983. Metro-North then leased 22 cars from SEMPTA at the cost of $40.00 per car per day. The cars were transferred in January 1984 and placed in service on both the Hudson Line and the Danbury Branch.
12 of the cars were 80 seat coaches rebuilt from PRR Pullmans. These were nos. 100-112. Ten cars came from the Union Pacific Railroad, nos. 4808-4817. Nine of these were 84 seat coaches while the tenth was a 74 seat snack bar car. This was no. 4808.
The MTA owned Shoreliner I’s arrived in 1985 and were placed in service on the Hudson Line. The SEMPTA the cars were assigned to the Danbury Branch. There were three through train sets at that time that ran to GCT in the morning and returned to Danbury at night. The CDOT owned Shoreliner I cars arrived in 1986 and displaced these cars from the Danbury service. Sometime after that the 100 series cars were returned to SEMPTA. Metro-North then placed café car 4808 on the dead line at Croton-North. The other 4800 series cars were placed in service on a New Rochelle-GCT run. They made one trip down in the morning and up at night. They were in service until at least 1990 and probably were retired when the Shoreliner III’s arrived in 1991.
I rode this consist once on the Hudson Line on July 5, 199o due to a mix-up in the car assignments.
If you need it I can provide you with the full roster numbers. Hope this helps.

Larry, RedbirdR33
 #1491292  by DutchRailnut

Larry no P in Semta .
 #1491788  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Back in 2014 a roster of the SEMTA cars with their given names was posted by Larry R33 thanks to
a search of the Railroad.net archives. I always found the SEMTA equipment interesting when it ran
in MNCR service - the M logo and name lettering was the only additions to many of these cars.

All of the municipality names except for Detroit (Wayne County) are in Oakland County, Michigan.
I checked a Detroit regional map for added reference.
Ex PRR stainless steel cars:
101-BLOOMFIELD
102-ROYAL OAK
103-PONTIAC
104-OAK PARK
105-CLAWSON
106-BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP
107-TROY
108-HAZEL PARK
109-SOUTHFIELD
110-BERKLEY
111-BIRMINGHAM
112-PLEASANT RIDGE

Ex UP painted steel cars:
4808-DETROIT (snack bar)
4809-HUNTINGTON WOODS
4810-FERNDALE
4811-FRANKLIN VILLAGE
4812-BINGHAM FARMS
4813-LATHROP VILLAGE
4814-MADISON HEIGHTS
4815-BEVERLY HILLS
4816-WEST BLOOMFIELD
4817-WATERFORD TOWNSHIP

I recall that some of the painted cars received full MNCR color schemes at some point.
Any idea of the whereabouts of these 22 cars today?
MACTRAXX
 #1491796  by DutchRailnut

at the time the 100 series was sold to Marc I believe. the 4800 series cars ran on last steam heated trains out of Stamford around 1989,
they sat for over a year in Harmon near old loop bridge before being sold to Barnum & bailey for the circus train.
 #1491803  by MACTRAXX

Dutch - Thanks for the added information on the SEMTA cars.

The 100 series former PRR cars went to MARC and became part of their "Heritage Fleet".
The 4800 series cars went to Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey and became part of the RBBX
fleet used on their two Circus trains.

I always found the SEMTA car and locomotive fleet interesting remembering how the fleet went
into further service for MNCR and the MBTA (locomotives) after the Detroit-Pontiac commuter
service ended. Looking back acquiring the SEMTA fleet was a good move for both agencies.

Another thought: Has anyone ever modeled these cars either under SEMTA or MNCR?
MACTRAXX