Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1449929  by Ridgefielder

My daily trip to and from work takes me past what I think are two of the most active freight sidings on MN: Endico Foods in Mount Vernon and Tulnoy Lumber in The Bronx.

Yesterday I saw something I haven't seen before. There were a couple of UPFE reefers on the Endico siding, as usual. But when we passed Tulnoy I saw another white UPFE reefer on their siding, coupled to one of the faded yellow RBOX boxcars they get with lumber/drywall/whatever loads. It looked like there was a trainman on the ground doing something to the coupler of the UPFE reefer but I didn't see a CSX engine anywhere.

Anybody know what could have been going on?
 #1449948  by gregorygrice

Jeff Smith wrote:it's been a while. Thanks.

How does CSX handle the change in direction at Mt. Vernon West to get back up the New Haven for those jobs (Marval, etc.)?
Shove south with a caboose. They used to run double ended but that practice was banned by CSX some time ago.
 #1449963  by DutchRailnut

Technically CSX has no trackage rights woodlawn to New Rochelle. They would by rule have to head back to Oak Point and then up Hellgate branch for New Haven .
Some RTC's seem to take shortcuts on this , despite federal complications
 #1452812  by andegold

Speaking with a friend at work today who commutes into GCT from New Rochelle he mentioned something about being on very old equipment one day recently. He described it as "Conrail equipment from the 50s". I told him he was imagining things but figured I would check here anyway. The closest thing I could find anywhere that might match what he was describing was the ACMUs but as afar as I can tell they are all gone except for two survivors at the Danbury Rail Museum. Can anybody shed some light on what he might have been riding?
 #1453125  by Ridgefielder

andegold wrote:That's what I thought, thanks.
Was he riding it or did he see it? The inspection train has been making its usual holiday rounds-- saw it parked on Track 23 in GCT the other morning. That genuinely is 1950's equipment, built for the Lackawanna's Phoebe Snow.
 #1453135  by NaugyRR

Sounds like a Shoreliner or an M2 to me