Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1530113  by expbusop

Train vs car West Reddng Station on Danbury Branch 8pm last night ,no injuries, car totaled. Driver thought he was turning into driveway but got stuck on tracks. Pizza store owner got driver out of car before train hit.
 #1530126  by GirlOnTheTrain

Article pertaining to the above train vs. car in Redding
https://www.newstimes.com/policereports ... src=nthpcp
Tom Costanzo knew he had to do something when he realized a driver was stuck on train tracks in the path of an oncoming train near his pizzeria Saturday night. Costanzo, the owner of Tomasinos Pizza N Pasta on Long Ridge Road near the West Redding train station, said the car got stuck after the driver turned onto the tracks in the dark while trying to turn into his restaurant’s driveway.
 #1530181  by DutchRailnut

the person was a local and regular visitor to pizza place, so I think GPS comment is out line.
 #1530214  by Ridgefielder

Backshophoss wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:21 am It might help to UPDATE the GPS unit at least 1 time a year!!! :P
This is one place where I not only don't think it was the GPS, but I could see myself making the same mistake, especially at night. Take a look at the view from the Googlemobile:

https://goo.gl/maps/LKU2jRFh9BmT41Rb7
https://goo.gl/maps/WwgTfc6bYQUzE2q39

Note the position of the camera on the roof of the car minimizes the grade up to the crossing. In most passenger vehicles it's totally blind past the tracks-- you can't see down Long Ridge Road until you're actually on the rails (I distinctly remember my 16 y/old elder brother "getting air" on this crossing in our 1976 Ford Fairmont wagon ca 1982...)
 #1530234  by DutchRailnut

I think this old view before the improvements and move of crossing last year.
 #1530261  by Backshophoss

By now there have been X generations of GPS units,the most current generations should be updateable at least 1 time a year!!!
To avoid the "fatel error" of turning onto the track,update the bloody thing at least 1 time a year!!!
That's the point of of this post and the other post
 #1530836  by andrewjw

Backshophoss wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:16 pm By now there have been X generations of GPS units,the most current generations should be updateable at least 1 time a year!!!
To avoid the "fatel error" of turning onto the track,update the bloody thing at least 1 time a year!!!
That's the point of of this post and the other post
As noted, the driver was a regular and would not have been using GPS, so your comment is totally out of line.

Furthermore, dedicated GPS unit sales have decreased dramatically as almost everyone now uses their phone, which gets updates continuously.
 #1530946  by Backshophoss

Phone based GPS can screw up,being based on Google or Bing Maps,and the phone provider "read" the map's software.
In the final outcome,it falls to the human driving the vehicle!
 #1539631  by BandA

A technological solution would be another arm or even a orange flag that goes across the tracks when the intersection is open and opens when the other gates go down. And/or put a visible curb between the driveway & the track.
 #1549420  by Jeff Smith

Tree down at Springdale: https://www.ncadvertiser.com/news/artic ... 456304.php
Original story: Train service between the New Canaan station and the Stamford station was delayed because of a downed tree in Stamford’s Springdale neighborhood, Metro-North said

“New Canaan Branch service is currently delayed due to a downed tree in the vicinity of Springdale. As more info becomes available we will notify you asap,” Metro-North Railroad said via Twitter at 10:19 p.m., Monday, August 3, 2020.
 #1549437  by Tommy Meehan

Tropical Storm Isaias whipped through the area Tuesday morning and afternoon. All Metro-North service is currently suspended. As of 5pm Metro-North advises:
Metro-North service on the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven Lines continues to be suspended due to extensive damage sustained from the effects of high winds and rain caused by Tropical Storm Isaias. Crews are working vigorously to repair damage caused by multiple fallen trees on each line, resulting in power & signal outages, overhead wires down and track infrastructure damage. We’ll resume service once trees have been cleared and repairs made to allow for the safe movement of trains.
 #1549450  by Tommy Meehan

As of very early this morning, Metro-North reports:
On Wednesday, August 5, Metro-North will continue to operate weekend service on the Hudson Line, due to extensive damage to our infrastructure caused by Tropical Storm Isaias.

On the Harlem Line, Metro-North will operate weekend service for trains traveling from Mount Kisco station to Grand Central Terminal only. Additionally, there will be no service between Mount Kisco and Wassaic stations due to downed trees and infrastructure damage.

Due to extensive damage from Tropical Storm Isaias, New Haven Line service from New Haven to Stamford will be suspended. We are working to clear many trees and repair extensive power and signal outages as well as overhead wires to restore service from Stamford to Grand Central Terminal by Wed. AM. We will provide that information as soon as it becomes available.