Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1254809  by DogBert

Does anyone know the story behind this CN Camp car parked on the spur under the major deegan by high bridge? It is coupled to a modified orange CN boxcar that says 'welding car' under the logo. The camp car was left open with old lirr rain coats & NJT contractor manuals from 2001 scattered everywhere - probably a homeless person living in it. According to a few folks on fb, it might have been in NJ for awhile before ending up where it is today. My guess is a contractor owns it - but what's it doing here & why?
Attachments:
IMG_3618.jpg
IMG_3618.jpg (212.63 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
 #1254847  by Freddy

By the looks of it, being unsecured and open, I'd say it's headed to be scrapped. Just a wild guess though.
 #1255054  by BobLI

i have allways wondered what that spur was used for and how did it wind up under the exopressway?
 #1255073  by 4400Washboard

I think that has something to do with the old Putnam Branch. I was browsing through ebay and found a slide of the last passenger train on the Putnam line. I don't have the screenshot of the thing now, but I think the platform was on the outer side of the track. The train would have terminated on the other side of the platform on a separate track.
 #1255136  by DogBert

That area over there was once the putnam terminal, though it was devoid of track for many many years. The track that is there now was only installed sometime in the last 5-10 years. A little further north is the abandoned station shell for the 9th ave. el.
 #1255699  by Terrapin Station

BobLI wrote:i have allways wondered what that spur was used for and how did it wind up under the exopressway?
To add to and clarify what others have already said...If I'm not mistaken, the track shown in the photo is within the right-of-way of the old Putnam Branch. As such, I assume the southbound lanes of the expressway were built the way they were (with an open support structure) to accommodate and preserve the railroad right-of-way. The rails and ties might not actually be left-over from the old days, but I believe they were re-installed within the original right-of-way. So that's how the spur ended up there. Assuming MNCR owns or has control over all or portions of the old Putnam Branch ROW in this area, they probably found it to be a good spot to meet their needs for a spur track.
 #1255700  by Terrapin Station

DogBert wrote:A little further north is the abandoned station shell for the 9th ave. el.
I think you mean a little further south. The 9th Ave El station shell is south of the pictured location.

This is looking north (10 years ago) from the 9th Ave El station shell up towards the location of the camp car.
http://www.railfanwindow.com/gallery2/v ... 9.jpg.html
 #1255752  by DogBert

Yes, south. In that photo, the camp car would be right where the first dirt pile is up against the pillars. The track ends pretty close to the 9th ave shell & can't be more than 10 years old.
 #1528438  by DutchRailnut

the SPV's yes except for one at CERM in Ct .
The CN car is part of Track Laying Machine it went back to Canada
 #1528519  by DutchRailnut

back to CN and their MofW subsidiary.