Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1232193  by MBTA1016

Thoughts and prayers to all involved. Sad to see this end the holiday weekend. Hope everyone that survived is ok.
That's scary seeing how the train ended up.
 #1232194  by RearOfSignal

FDNY chief says they had to lift train cars to remove people from underneath. He says 3 of the fatalities were found already outside the train cars upon arrival, 1 was brought from inside the car out. Obviously the train must of been traveling at a substantial speed to throw passengers from inside the train out.
 #1232195  by Darien Red Sox

My prayers go out to everyone involved.
 #1232198  by Clearfield

CNN now reporting the engineer claims he applied the brakes but they didn't slow the train.

More definitive info from people who actually know what they're talking about is needed. I'd rather hear the engineer than hear what CNN thinks he said.
Last edited by Clearfield on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1232200  by 25Hz

Amtrak's Empire Service suspended both directions between Albany and NYP till further notice...

Today of all days when people are going home after thanksgiving. A real shame. Hope all those affected recover soon & family and friends of the departed find comfort for their loss.
 #1232202  by MACTRAXX

Tadman wrote:Guys, please remember to remain calm about the cause and the details until the dust clears. You've got multiple media outlets already releasing erroneous information, including CNN stating the train was headed for NYP, an ABC affiliate claiming it was a subway accident, and multiple claims of a train car in the water. If the talking heads can't get it straight, that's bad news.
Tad: I found out about this accident in the past hour - I am posting this reply at 10:30 EST
and I totally agree with you after what I have seen or read so far...In due time MNCR will
find out the exact cause of this accident and clear up any speculation...

This happened on what is the second busiest travel day of the year cutting off the Hudson
Line and Amtrak's Empire Service - the track leading to the Empire Connection near the site
does look to be clear but due to the proximity of the accident Amtrak will not operate
between Yonkers and NYP at the very least until further notice as mentioned...

The New York Times in a currently posted article has a picture taken by Edwin Valero of
the Associated Press from what looks to be the Henry Hudson Bridge that is the most
clear picture of the derailment site showing how close the cab car actually got to the
Harlem River - remember that this is E of the Spuyten Duyvil Empire Connection bridge
just yards away from the station and is at that point not yet the Hudson River...

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/02/nyreg ... ml?hp&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MNCR will probably have to institute a "bus bridge" from Marble Hill to Riverdale or
Yonkers to handle the passengers that would be traveling on the Hudson Line and
another alternative would be added service on the Harlem Line...

As others have mentioned I offer my condolences to anyone directly affected by this
accident especially the MNCR employees that were on board this train...

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1232205  by ACeInTheHole

It definitely seems speed played a factor. Perhaps the brake thing you indicated. If the train had derailed doing the 30 mph restriction.. It would have at most jumped a track. Not shot across the trackswith the cab car nearly in the Hudson.
 #1232208  by RearOfSignal

Clearfield wrote:CNN now reporting the engineer claims he applied the brakes but they didn't slow the train.

More definitive info from people who actually know what they're talking about is needed. I'd rather hear the engineer than hear what CNN thinks he said.
A reporter asked that question to Commissioner Kelly, he said that the engineer made unofficial comments as to the cause of the derailment. Whatever that means. Initial reports had mentioned that the first call of trouble came from the crew of the train. Not sure how true that is or if that was before or after the train derailed.
 #1232215  by JackRussell

Morisot wrote:I'm sorry, but I cannot think that Governor Cuomo and his entourage showing up on the scene at 2 hours could be anything other than a complication for the emergency responders.
At this point it is a little hard to say - I am not sure how many (if any) of the injured are still at the scene.
 #1232221  by 25Hz

georgewerr wrote:
25Hz wrote:Amtrak's Empire Service suspended both directions between Albany and NYP till further notice...

Today of all days when people are going home after thanksgiving. A real shame. Hope all those affected recover soon & family and friends of the departed find comfort for their loss.
Are there any alternate routes for the Empire to get people out of the city
Not for several decades.... There used to be several ways to get to Albany from GCT.
 #1232222  by Tommy Meehan

I'm sure the NTSB is en route or soon will be. I never thought I'd say this but it seems like MNR has become their favorite agency.

I have been riding the Hudson Line for over twenty years and I know many people who ride from Tarrytown (the last inbound stop on 8808) and stations beyond it. I also have gotten to know many of the crew members and I really hope no one I know is among the dead or injured.
 #1232223  by lirr42

25Hz wrote:
georgewerr wrote:
25Hz wrote:Amtrak's Empire Service suspended both directions between Albany and NYP till further notice...

Are there any alternate routes for the Empire to get people out of the city
Not for several decades.... There used to be several ways to get to Albany from GCT.
There are still possible routes, they're not very practical, but they are still there. Going up to NHV/SPG then across to Albany on 448/449's route could do the trick.
 #1232226  by MNCRR9000

It was mentioned that service is currently operating between Poughkeepsie and Terrytown. Was there any interruption in the signal system for the line north of the accident site.