Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1211945  by SecaucusJunction

I went to the Harmon open house more than once. It was probably one of the better shows I've seen. It blew any NTD out of the water. I agree though... with limited funds, there are more important things to spend money on. Glad they used the cash to add more trains but hope that at some point in the future, the Harmon shops will be open again.
 #1211966  by Kurt

The MTA maintains a page on Flikr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/ that showcases things from all over the system. To be honest I was starting to get bored with the open houses. There is only so many times you can walk thru an M7. Sure it was nice to see how things are maintained, but I think thats what made those events special, they are not an everyday (Or year) occurrence.
 #1212023  by pbass

It's been said before but seems to be forgotten:The complex at Harmon is still under going improvements with construction.This should be the final phase when the electric shop is completed.Until then,I wouldn't hold my breath.Perhaps when the project is over and done with,the MTA might elect to open Harmon to let the public see how their money was spent to improve the facilities to provide the latest factors in maintaining the equipment.
 #1212108  by shadyjay

Kurt wrote:To be honest I was starting to get bored with the open houses. There is only so many times you can walk thru an M7. Sure it was nice to see how things are maintained, but I think thats what made those events special, they are not an everyday (Or year) occurrence.
The only open house I've been to was in 2008 and I believe it was the last one before they started replacing Harmon shops. I'm glad I went to it since the Fs were still around and it was important to the person I went with since he was from NYC territory and wanted the chance to walk around the facility. With more modern equipment around, a visit to the open house wouldn't be that important enough to drive down from VT. But that's just me...
 #1222567  by JoshKarpoff

Want to go to an even better Harmon Open House?
Here's how:
1) Move to Croton-on-Hudson,
2) Join the all volunteer Croton Fire Department,
3) Meet all training and other requirements of the Department to participate in firematic activities,
4) Attend the semi-annual Metro-North rail safety for first responders training classes with MNRR Deputy Director of Safety/ MNRR Fire Brigade Chief/ Croton FD ex-Chief/ Croton FD Deputy Chief Joe Streany.
5) Get to do a walk-through of the entire yards complex and training drills wayyyyy too early on a Saturday morning.
http://www.crotonfd.org/apps/public/new ... News_ID=51

That's what I did last spring and it was brilliant.
I'll go again next year, even if its just a repeat of the same thing and I despise early mornings.