Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1214648  by Bill D

For what it's worth, I caught two trains today (Saturday) with bar cars in the consist. I rode car 8661 (lead car) on the 7:20 am out of New Haven, train 6511 to GCT. On the return, car 8651 was bringing up the rear on train 6548, the 5:37 pm out of GCT. Of course, no bar service on the am train, and the on the pm train the car had a seated load as I passed by, but I'm not sure if drinks were being served.

Bill
 #1214701  by Clean Cab

Bar Cars are only staffed on weekday afternoons.
 #1214706  by Bill D

Clean Cab wrote:Bar Cars are only staffed on weekday afternoons.
It was interesting to see them on a weekend train though. I assume that MN will use whatever consists are easily accessible on weekends. Most of the time that I ride weekends I end up on an older set of equipment. I might as well enjoy them while they are still around.

Bill
 #1214715  by DutchRailnut

on weekends they come in handy as bicycle cars.
 #1214802  by Clean Cab

Bill D wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:Bar Cars are only staffed on weekday afternoons.
It was interesting to see them on a weekend train though. I assume that MN will use whatever consists are easily accessible on weekends. Most of the time that I ride weekends I end up on an older set of equipment. I might as well enjoy them while they are still around.

Bill

Correct. They use whatever is available when needed.
 #1214931  by Noel Weaver

Just a guess on my part but I suspect that the last M-2's on the road will be for the most part the bar pairs.
Noel Weaver
 #1215010  by Clean Cab

The best guess is yes, the bar pairs will be amongst the last M2's to be retired/scrapped.
 #1216145  by NHAirLine

They're fun to ride in on the weekends. It seems pretty much every M2/4/6 train on the weekends ends up with one, although my sample size is pretty small.
 #1216208  by Clean Cab

NHAirLine wrote:They're fun to ride in on the weekends. It seems pretty much every M2/4/6 train on the weekends ends up with one, although my sample size is pretty small.
I doubt that. There are only 7 active bar pairs, so I think the odds of catching on weekends is more like 1 out of 8.
 #1216216  by NHAirLine

Clean Cab wrote:
NHAirLine wrote:They're fun to ride in on the weekends. It seems pretty much every M2/4/6 train on the weekends ends up with one, although my sample size is pretty small.
I doubt that. There are only 7 active bar pairs, so I think the odds of catching on weekends is more like 1 out of 8.
Maybe it's just the times I tend to ride. Or they aren't running many M2/4/6 sets on the weekends anymore...
 #1216268  by DutchRailnut

you call it luck?? to sit in a car that smells like rear wall of a Irish pub ?
 #1216523  by NHAirLine

DutchRailnut wrote:you call it luck?? to sit in a car that smells like rear wall of a Irish pub ?
I've always found them to be clean on the weekends, and I like the seating arrangement. Maybe just for novelty's sake, since everything else is 3-2 or 2-2 seating.
 #1216868  by ACeInTheHole

NHAirLine wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:you call it luck?? to sit in a car that smells like rear wall of a Irish pub ?
I've always found them to be clean on the weekends, and I like the seating arrangement. Maybe just for novelty's sake, since everything else is 3-2 or 2-2 seating.
Sadly, I have to agree with NH on this one. The car did not smell bad at all and I daresay rode better than the Arrows we have down here (which isn't saying much). I had an Arrow a few weeks ago that had just come back into service after flood damage repair, it stunk to the high heavens of cleaning products and a ton of bleach, I had a mind numbing headache from inhaling that garbage after I got off the train that didn't go away for an hour. Now that... that was luck.(sarcasm).