Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1268094  by runningwithscalpels

I believe 1573 is staffed, I didn't actually go to the bar car but the conductor made the announcement - and that was within the last month.
 #1268107  by Trainer

Instead of trying to modify M8's into new Bar Cars, and dealing with the expense of purchasing and customizing costly new cars, why not just hollow out some FL9' chassis and keep them on the front of trainsets? They'd make great bar cars and the view out the front would be terrific. Add a few more of those hobbit-windows down the sides, of course.

#1268127  by deathtopumpkins

Well there wouldn't be a view out the front because there would be a cab with an engineer in it in the way.

Plus I'm sure there would be issues running FL9's in a train of M8's, and I doubt the cost of gutting FL9s and building a bar car into the shell would be cheaper than converting a few M8's into bar cars.
 #1268167  by Clean Cab

Good bye and good riddance to the M2 bar cars!! They were nothing but a waste of space. Keep in mind there will be some variation of an M8 bar car once a design is both finalized and approved. The M8 contract has requirements for "up to 24" bar cars, but that does not mean there will be 24 of them.

This Friday (5/9) will mark the last day of bar car service. Train #1574 will be the last train to have a staffed bar car. After that, they last remaining bar cars will be retired.
 #1268176  by ACeInTheHole

Trainer wrote:Instead of trying to modify M8's into new Bar Cars, and dealing with the expense of purchasing and customizing costly new cars, why not just hollow out some FL9' chassis and keep them on the front of trainsets? They'd make great bar cars and the view out the front would be terrific. Add a few more of those hobbit-windows down the sides, of course.

Please tell me youre joking.
 #1268203  by Clean Cab

Trainer wrote:Instead of trying to modify M8's into new Bar Cars, and dealing with the expense of purchasing and customizing costly new cars, why not just hollow out some FL9' chassis and keep them on the front of trainsets? They'd make great bar cars and the view out the front would be terrific. Add a few more of those hobbit-windows down the sides, of course.

That is one of the more original, yet ridiculous ideas I've ever heard of. There are so many problems with this idea. Safe to say nothing even close to it would ever be workable.
 #1268252  by DutchRailnut

can we please stop quoting the message over and over and over again??????
 #1268493  by Train538

My father spotted 8651 in service while riding 1538 this afternoon.
 #1268516  by fl9m2004

When I went on the Yankees train this past sunday there was a bar car don't know if it was open or closed
I think it was 8669?
 #1268570  by NH2060

Backshophoss wrote:Considering the current "feellings" about MNR after the DV wreck and the FRA "oversight",any chance of a
"Farewell to the M-2's" fantrip including some of the bar pairs?
I think a proper onboard farewell with some music will suffice.
Like this number by Lefty, Charlie T. Jr, Otis, Lucky, and Nelson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1268604  by Noel Weaver

My guess is that there will be some press coverage of this happening and I will be watching the New York newspapers for something Saturday morning.
Noel Weaver
 #1268671  by lirr42

They beat you to it, Mr. Weaver. A number of them have ran stories online about the impending end of the bar cars.

The way you see most people reacting you would think they're abandoning half of the New Haven Line...