Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1186636  by Tommy Meehan

Train538 wrote:It depends on when the NTSB actually arrives at the scene...
According to the NTSB site they had a "go-team" en route by 8 00 PM.
 #1186638  by Train538

Clean Cab wrote:I'm trying to understand what train was on what track? The pictures seem to show the headend of the westbound train struck the rear of the eastbound head car?
1581 (westbound) was on track 2 and 1548 (eastbound) was on track 4.
http://connecticut.news12.com/multimedi ... -1.5286758
 #1186646  by Tommy Meehan

Be interesting tomorrow to see how they deal with this. Maybe they can bus between South Norwalk and Bridgeport and than have a shuttle service from there to New Haven.

I'm a bit surprised they don't have a bus shuttle set up already. Except maybe they do?
 #1186648  by Backshophoss

Tom,the WCBS stream during "traffic reports" segments is reporting "shuttle" type ops between Bridgeport- New Haven,Bus to
So No,all stops to GCT.
 #1186650  by Tommy Meehan

Backshophoss wrote:Tom,the WCBS stream during "traffic reports" segments is reporting "shuttle" type ops between Bridgeport- New Haven,Bus to So No,all stops to GCT.
That's terrific. Give 'em an A+! :)

I got caught in one of these deals. No signals following a ferocious thunder storm. This was 7 00 PM on a Friday night. We had buses by 8 30 PM.
 #1186665  by Tommy Meehan

The Fairfield Patch is also reporting a shuttle service is operating:
The Rail Traffic Controller based in Grand Central advises conductors to tell passengers there is a major delay between South Norwalk and New Haven, Patch contributor Harold Cobin reports.

The controller says they are attempting to establish eastbound shuttle service to New Haven.

Buses are arriving at Norwalk Police Headquarters at South Main and Monroe streets to transport passengers east. The police headquarters is a block east from the South Norwalk train station.
Link

The eastbound trains are operating normally; first stop Stamford. I would guess the westbound trains are operating 'all-stops' since they can't guarantee the connection at Stamford with the local.

It'll be a l-o-n-g trip from New Haven to GCT, but hey at least people aren't stranded.

In the Amtrak Forum someone wrote they were on the first eastbound Amtrak train that was blocked. They reversed back to Penn Station and passengers were sent to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. ;(
 #1186675  by Backshophoss

This accident has made the national news,used an overhead shot of the wreck,NTSB now controls the scene,time to wait for the report.
 #1186676  by Terminal Proceed

OK People - here are the guidelines for this thread - This thread will remain open and active as long as people REFRAIN FROM SPECULATION as to what may or may not have caused the collision/derailment. The matter is under investigation by the Railroad and Federal Authorities. Upon conclusion of said investigation, I am certain those facts will be made public.

Let me be perfectly clear about this : THERE WILL BE NO DISCUSSION AS TO CAUSE AND/OR ORIGIN OF THIS INCIDENT IN THIS FORUM. I have already deleted one post that speculated about which train was where and when - in the event that the participants of this forum do not respect the discussion boundaries here, I WILL delete said posts and lock this topic down.

Have a pleasant weekend.

Kevin
Forum Moderator
 #1186679  by CSX Conductor

All Amtrak trains on MNRR property were sent back to their origins. 2168 held at CP-248 and was sent back to NYP. A few other westbounds were turned around before even touching The Mets.
 #1186681  by CTRailfan

Has anyone watched the local news stations? They have made a real circus out of this calling it a "major accident" and all sorts of other things. They also don't seem to know the difference between a "lane" and a "track".

What a mess the NTSB is making out of the New Haven line by holding things up... I'm assuming Metro-North can't tell us whether the bad track was due to the construction in the area or something else yet, as it's a pending federal investigation? They're saying service might not be fully restored by MONDAY!!!! 60 years ago, it would have been up and running tomorrow morning!

Also, which track had the bad track? I've heard conflicting reports about which train/track started this collision, and which one was second.
 #1186721  by lirr42

My thoughts and best wishes go out to all those injured in the incident.
 #1186752  by Clean Cab

I know quite a few people who worked on the trains and some did suffer injuries, but thankfully they do not sound like serious injuries.
 #1186791  by 25Hz

I too hope everyone goes home without permenant issue after this incident.

On a scale of 1-10 I'd say this looks like a 5 on the severity level. I cannot believe how torn up the tracks are!!!!!

Trying to wrap my head around how the tracks could get so mangled yet the trains are still totally upright & only one car has a big chunk missing, where's the missing bit??
 #1186819  by TomNelligan

What a mess the NTSB is making out of the New Haven line by holding things up... I'm assuming Metro-North can't tell us whether the bad track was due to the construction in the area or something else yet, as it's a pending federal investigation? They're saying service might not be fully restored by MONDAY!!!! 60 years ago, it would have been up and running tomorrow morning!
I was thinking exactly the same thing. The New Haven RR would have had the New Haven and Oak Point steam-powered derricks cleaning up the mess within a couple hours. Contemporary government bureaucracy is wonderfully efficient, isn't it?