Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1189411  by khansingh

I wonder, have they looked into ordering another generation of Shoreliners, along the lines of the Comet V?
 #1189420  by DutchRailnut

no. but MNCR is looking into a form of MLV for replacement of M-3's bracketed by a pair of power cars.
as for Shoreliners, the end door cars just got a 15 year life extension overhaul, and Center door cars have not yet been overhauled.
 #1189421  by F-line to Dudley via Park

The I's and II's were just rebuilt in '08. III's and IV's just aren't that old. And West-of-Hudson gets NJT's newest Comet V's in the equipment pool. Nothing they use is all that dated on state-of-repair, and CDOT's motlier mix of SLE/NHHS coaches stays outside the MNRR equipment pool so any augmenting or replacement there wouldn't affect MNRR.

I suppose if they are considering that M3-replacement idea of EMU power car + MLV coach consist that it would make sense on subsequent coach orders to move to an all-MLV fleet on the Hudson and Harlem so the same exact coaches can be shared between the new EMU's and push-pull service. Shouldn't be a problem for the P32's since the rebuilds can haul 10 cars. Don't know if the BL20GH's can haul an MLV's without trading off for fewer total cars.

CDOT I can't see having any interest. Danbury and Waterbury aren't nearly at-capacity for their existing Shoreliner assignments, and the NHHS service scale-up is going to take years so the SLE equipment + second-hand reinforcements will do just fine for the first 5-8 years until they're ready to buy new. And if they buy new they don't have the clearance restrictions to need MLV's...they can shop for full-height bi-levels from a greater number of manufacturers, including used.
 #1189423  by DutchRailnut

A P32acdm can barely haul 7 cars after overhaul, GE neutered them, they had no problem with 7 before overhaul.
don't forget after HEP a P32acdm is only about 2500 Hp for traction, and with 110 mph gearing, making it just slightly better than a single 1850 hp FL-9 with 7 cars.
as for CDOT they will renew at same time MNCR will as all are in pool service.
 #1189557  by Clean Cab

The rebuilt P32's are so slow taking off from a standing start, you can time them with a calendar!!!
 #1189579  by Thomas

Are you saying that double decker coaches will be procured as the Shoreliner V, and that current coaches on the Hudson Lines will eventually become multi-level. Also, can double decker coaches fit in the Empire Connection Tunnel between Penn Station and the Westside Line?
 #1189591  by lirr42

Quoting things the old fashioned way, because the quote this post button seems to be missing with the recent forum upgrage, lirr42 attempts to quote Thomas when he wrote:Are you saying that double decker coaches will be procured as the Shoreliner V, and that current coaches on the Hudson Lines will eventually become multi-level. Also, can double decker coaches fit in the Empire Connection Tunnel between Penn Station and the Westside Line?
No, they won't be called Shoreliner V, a Shoreliner V pretty much already exists (Comets, Shoreliners, and Horizons are all basically the same cars).

All coaches on the Hudson Line (and the other two lines you left out) might eventually become all multi-level, but in many, many years. As Mr. Railnut said, the Shoreliners still have a lot of life in them, and they aren't getting ditched anytime soon.

Yes, MLV's can fit in the Empire Tunnel...that's how NJTransit's MLV's were delivered.
 #1190296  by Thomas

When Metro North procures multi-level coaches, they should include chargers for people to plug in their smartphones. Is it true that modern double-decker coaches are "soundproof"?
 #1190450  by truck6018

Thomas wrote:When Metro North procures multi-level coaches, they should include chargers for people to plug in their smartphones. Is it true that modern double-decker coaches are "soundproof"?
Chargers? or electrical outlets?

While it's not a bad idea to have outlets, some people don't need any more encouragement to have all their gizmos plugged in.
 #1190496  by Thomas

I suppose that is true. But how do the interior sound levels in double-decker coaches compare to older trains?
 #1190510  by DutchRailnut

Thomas wrote:I suppose that is true. But how do the interior sound levels in double-decker coaches compare to older trains?
How can you discuss soundlevels on cars that are not built yet, the subject is Future MNCR cars ??
 #1190538  by F-line to Dudley via Park

DutchRailnut wrote:
Thomas wrote:I suppose that is true. But how do the interior sound levels in double-decker coaches compare to older trains?
How can you discuss soundlevels on cars that are not built yet, the subject is Future MNCR cars ??
MLV coaches. The ones already in-service by the hundreds. Not the theoretical power cars.
 #1190548  by DutchRailnut

just because MNCR is looking at MLV based cars does not mean they will be identical, times change and so do specifications.
 #1191078  by Tadman

Why do P32DM's have 110mph gearing? Wouldn't freight gearing (or something more like 70-90 top speed) be more appropriate for a railroad that doesn't go over 90, and has lots of stop/starts?

I understand these units were built near/in-series with Amtrak units, but gearing is a motor and wheelset issue, right? All you'd have to do is use a freight wheelset and traction motor, right?