Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#241572  by DutchRailnut

MNCR has 4 classes of Shoreliners.
First series has end doors cab has regular control lights for indications.
Second series has end doors but Display unit for indications.
Third series has centerdoor and for cab has conventional cab and folding seat
Fourth series has centerdoor and fixed cab seat, no side door engineers side and has deasktop type brakestand.
The cars in first and second series are being rebuilt.

#241679  by Clean Cab

The Metro-North "Bomb" cars came in 4 seperatre orders between 1985 and 2002. They are know as Project 19, Project 21, Project 38 and Project 38As cars. Using Dutch's above listing, you can identify which cars came in what format.
 #253216  by tantg

Hi
I was wondering if enyone could tell me how meny of these cars CONDOT actually own and MNR actually own in the form of passenger cars and cab cars please.
I realise from previous threads that they operate in a pool service.
Thank you in advance.
Glenn

#253269  by DutchRailnut

total shoreliner cars is 185 shoreliners Connecticut owns 39 (including SLE).
 #359286  by MNRR PA OPERATOR

I was just wondering. the shoreliner IIIB series with the Center door are very popular on the hudson harlem and New Haven lines in the blue stripes(6311-6320). Why is it, as far as the CDOT state of conneticut, there are only 2 RED striped center door 3B series? number 6221 and 6222? I have never seen any other red striped CDOT center door cab car other than those to. Why is that?

#359307  by Nester

I think they only ordered two, and they were originally for SLE service; they were eventually transferred to the MNR pool. If I'm missing a detail or 7 I'm sure DRN will chime in.

#359322  by Clean Cab

CDOT purchased 10 Bombardier "Shoreliner" center door ("CD") coaches (AKA "Project 38As") in 2001. Only two cab control cars were part of the order. Sadly, CDOT is way behind the MTA when it comes to ownership of "Bomb" cars.

#359346  by Nester

capecodlocoguy wrote:Sadly, CDOT is
You said too much, out of sequence. CDOT is sad. That's all that needs to be said :wink:
 #370192  by Nester

About a week ago I noticed that Shoreliner Car 6264 has a facing set of 4 seaters in the middle, and a good section of the overhead rack in the middle of the car is missing.

Was this car originally delivered with a bar setup that was later removed?

#370204  by DutchRailnut

Yes 6264 and one other Conndot shoreliner had a harmon made bar setup.
The Barcars on Danbury were elliminated about 10 years ago in favour f bar carts at GCT since the pressence of these bar cars could not be guaranteed on the scheduled trains.

#370254  by peak-layover

I believe that the other one is 6255 or 6258. However, the other set up jst has about four or five rows of seats removed in the middle and a metal bar across from it. Overhead racks are still in that one. I've never noticed this car (6264) before. I'll have to do a little searching around.

#370987  by Nester

Could it be 6257? I'm in that car now and there's a 5 seater in an unusual place, and there are parts of the overhead rack that are missing. There's also a bathroom on this car, making it ideal for bar service :wink:
 #660877  by M1 9147

Guys,

As we all know, all the CDOT (Former SLE coaches) are now running. I know from the last visit to Croton Harmon, the 1691, 1693, and 1695 were on the north side along with NJT 5009, and 5010 (know their status). Anyways, the curiousity I have is all of the former MN WOH coaches are mostly if not all in service, and also the former SLE cab now 6229 is in service as of last year. Any word on the status of the other cabs (Both CDOT/SLE, and MN WOH) when those will be placed into service? I haven't seen those in service since when they were in NJT hands, and when the former WOH cabs were delivered to MN and sitting at Highbridge Yard back in 2004! And have those cabs been sent to Bombardier for rebuild yet?
 #661159  by DutchRailnut

Non of the former WoH cab cars is in service yet, the former SLE cabcars are still having some issues, so don't expect them on head end.
The WoH cab cars did not have Cabsignal/atc I believe, don't know if Harmon or Bombardier will put that in.