Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#131912  by Nester

DutchRailnut wrote:Again I bettya the communications tower can be proven a neccesity for safe interstate passenger traffic and the tower sits on Federal property(railroad)
What the RR can prove is irrelevant. It is not federal property. It is owned by the MTA. MTA is not bound by local zoning regulations.

Nester

#131938  by DutchRailnut

Nester any railroad can get radio towers etc cause railroads are not effected by local zonning laws, only on buildings, like stations etc.
This is not because they are MTA cause any railroad runs under former ICC rules nor surface transportation board.
Your local elected officials have nada, nichts, nein, zero input in railroad stuff.

#132061  by Nester

Then maybe the radio tower was a bad example. No matter which way you slice it, there are no local laws that the MTA are required to follow. That includes zoning. If the State of New York says that it is OK, the MTA can do it. MTA buildings are not legally required to follow fire and safety codes (although in many instances they do).

Local officials have no direct input on MTA operations. For example, if the Village of Tarrytown decided that they don't want RR service after 10 PM, or that they wanted the station house to be painted blue to match the rest of the urban renewal in the area, they could pass 10,000 local laws demanding this and there is no means to enforce it. The MTA would simply continue doing what they feel should be done. The same with any silly ordinance that declares that workers in the village must be paid in peanuts. Since the MTA is a state-run corporation, they are exempt. The same goes for every other state-run corp.

Yes, RR companies are granted special protections under the law. But the MTA has an even bigger layer of insulation than a "traditional" RR corporation. You'd be surprised at what they could get away with, when compared to a "traditional" RR.

Nester
 #218113  by metrony

The ones without the middle door are from the mid 80s, while the ones with the middle door are from the mid 90s?

Once it comes time to replace these cars I hope Metro-North makes the newer cars with much bigger windows like the M8 have.

#218116  by DutchRailnut

Rail cars are good for 30 years if rebuild properly.
Yes the End door ars are from the mid 80's the Centerdoor cars are from around 1993 and up.
unfortunatly nobody has seen any windows for M-8's yet as they are not even finisherd with the design yet.

#218124  by metrony

silly me. I meant the M7 trains. :P

This means in the next decade the cars without the middle doors will have to be replace, seeing how they're be close to being 30 years old.

I do notice how some of the end to end cars have dirty windows, which is hard to see out and sometimes really sticky floors also sometimes the bathroom smell.

Usually I like to avoid the end the end cars and try to find a car with the middle door.

#218145  by 7 Train

The Shoreliner Is (no fireman's window) date from 1982-83, the same year as NJT's Comet II, also built by Bombardier. Later Shoreliner models (with center door) are 1996 models (similar to Comet IV).

#218490  by M1 9147

To add, the newer Shoreliner 3B's were built in 2001 (cabs without engineers door just window). That took on the Comet 4 design exclusively. The Shoreliner 3 was in 1996, and that was the center door with the engineers door at the cab. The CDOT Shoreliner 4 was built in 2003 and had 8 coaches with 2 cab cars. Differences also reflect the interior scheme where the older cars have the wood paneling, and the newer cars have a white interior.

#218565  by DutchRailnut

The Shoreliner Is came on property in 1984, my first year with MNCR. only engines with HEP that year were the 4 CDOT owned FL9's from Chrome Crackshaft, 2002-2006-2019-2023.
The others were still out at Coastal enginering to have HEP installed.
those units were 2003-2004-2005-2008-2012-2018.
Meanwhile the Harmon shop was running HEP wires thru FL-9's that had no ATC system and degrading them to B units no 2026-2027-2028-2029-2030 some still had boilers and watertanks but some had empty rear like 2026-2027 who became CDOT rebuilds later on.
also 6 units were equiped with Bombardier door lights and control functions like PA/IC but did not have HEP lines or HEP generators and could only lead with a hep equiped trailer, those units were 2020-2021-2022-2031-2033- 2010.
The 2013 was only unit 100% converted to HEP equiped leader by Harmon diesel shop.
 #241464  by benltrain

I know a Comet IIS is a shoreliner, but can somebody tell me other ways the Shoreliner and Comet fleets are connected? Names for shoreliners in comet fleet (i.e. comet IIS) and vice versa, and other connecting factors would be nice.

#241499  by DutchRailnut

Comet/shoreliner are 90% same cars only the Comets have different seating and key locks/switches on joisey side.
The West of Hudson cars after rebuilt will be 100% same as east of Hudson line cars, with same M-1 type seating, the seats and frames are saved from retired M-1's
Bombardier has to rebuilt trucks, change keylocks/switches change linoleum and windows , repaint window band from NJT black (on most cars) to Blue and change seating, they will probably replace the light balast with dual feed 110 volt Ac /65 voltDC type so cars will stay lit when dual modes go trough gaps in GCT.

#241508  by benltrain

Which comet=which shoreliner? Is it just 1=1 2=2 etc.? Are the build dates for each model close together?

I wonder if the next time MNRR builds PPs that they will be like the comet Vs, or the Shoreliner IVs.

#241512  by DutchRailnut

The Comet V are to tight a fit in GCT with signals , and with 23 extra cars nobody had counted on and additional 41 cars going to Dansville in next two years to be rebuilt, I don't think MNCR will need Push Pulls for a while.
So anything would be speculative and beyond anyones scope here.

Yes the Comet II and Shoreliner II are from same timeframe,early 1984.

#241567  by 7 Train

The first Shoreliner series is from 1982-83 and is related to NJT/SEPTA's Comet II, Amtrak's Horizon and MBTA push-pull. The 1996-2000 Shoreliner III is related to the Comet IV.

#241571  by benltrain

What about the shoreliner IV and I? Am I getting something wrong here? Are there any more designations like the Comet IIs=shoreliner II?