Railroad Forums 

• F40PH-2C & F40PHM-2C "Rebuilds" Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1042669  by ck4049

Hi there! This question has been in my head for quite awhile now: What was done to the F40 Rebuilds when they were rebuilt between 2000-2004? Any answers are very much appreciated!
 #1042837  by mbta1051dan

Repainted, extra engine room door added for sound protection, advanced ACSES displays, new CAT 3412 HEP generators (which I hear will be replaced soon with the now-standard CAT C-18s), and pretty much general mechanical and/or structural overhaul/reinforcement.
 #1042854  by ck4049

Thanks 1050!
Was the new engine room door added between the prime mover and the main generator/turbocharger, or is it the one between the air compressor & HEP generator?
 #1043321  by mbta1051dan

ck4049 wrote:Thanks 1050!
Was the new engine room door added between the prime mover and the main generator/turbocharger, or is it the one between the air compressor & HEP generator?
Extra door between the cab and the prime mover.
 #1043372  by ck4049

Oh OK, thanks again! I also noticed the engine room door latches in the cab & other cab details(no defroster beneath the windshield, radio arrangement on the control stands, etc;) on the Morrison-Knudsen 1025-1036 series were different from the rest of the fleet.
Last edited by ck4049 on Mon May 07, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1043489  by mbta1051dan

You're welcome. The difference there were between, the 1025 and 1050 series units I think have been standardized, since M-K (now MPI) rebuilt them all, so the specs probably match their latest model at the time, the F40PH-3C. They retained their control stands, though, I was worried they would end up with desktops like the Coaster, ACE and Caltrain units. Real F40s have a control stand!

I also wonder if the turbocharger or exhaust system may have been redesigned, there is a much lower bass exhaust note with these engines than anything else in the fleet, and it didn't seem like that before! If you are in a K-car behind a rebuild coming into say Back Bay or Porter Square the vibrations will rattle the car like it's coming apart!
 #1043661  by ck4049

mbta1051dan wrote:You're welcome. The difference there were between, the 1025 and 1050 series units I think have been standardized, since M-K (now MPI) rebuilt them all, so the specs probably match their latest model at the time, the F40PH-3C. They retained their control stands, though, I was worried they would end up with desktops like the Coaster, ACE and Caltrain units. Real F40s have a control stand!

I also wonder if the turbocharger or exhaust system may have been redesigned, there is a much lower bass exhaust note with these engines than anything else in the fleet, and it didn't seem like that before! If you are in a K-car behind a rebuild coming into say Back Bay or Porter Square the vibrations will rattle the car like it's coming apart!
MK did make a few minor modifications to the control stand before they started making major changes. I have to agree that real F40s have the control stands! The turbocharger is definitely different from the screamers(obviously since the turbocharger is one of the LOUDEST components), though I don't look at the ones in the MK units too often.
The vibrations feel like a small earthquake when youre sitting in the coach behind a rebuild!
 #1043718  by ck4049

Yeah and it feels like your cell phone vibrate is going off! The HEP is what causes the vibrations, with a little help from the main generator & turbocharger.
 #1043768  by AEM7AC920

Actually the hep isn't what causes the vibrations it's more prime mover related. Know you all can't notice unless you have been in the cab going through a tunnel but usually right around the 2nd notch is when you get the deepest sound and vibration.
 #1044078  by mbta1051dan

The HEP causes the vibrations on the GP40MCs, on the F40 rebuild it is the prime mover, and yes most pronounced in the 2nd notch! I seem to notice when some engineers run these they go right from idle or 1 to 3, before moving to any of the other notches, cause the vibrations are intense in the cab!
 #1044102  by AEM7AC920

Going from notch 1 to roughly 3 has nothing to do with what engine is on point it's more train handling procedures and stretching the slack out when taking off from a stop.
 #1044349  by ck4049

The 1074's prime mover had something very wrong with it and right now it is sitting in the Wheel/Axle/Motor Shop at BET. I hear it is supposed to get an new prime mover & main generator.
 #1044475  by mbta1051dan

ck4049 wrote:The 1074's prime mover had something very wrong with it and right now it is sitting in the Wheel/Axle/Motor Shop at BET. I hear it is supposed to get an new prime mover & main generator.
Any idea what went wrong with it?
 #1044574  by ck4049

All I heard was that it had a major engine failure back in late September. Im thinking this was the same locomotive that caused the Worcester Line to be delayed by over three hours this past fall.