Railroad Forums 

• Tunnel Turned Into Safety Training Facility

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1087371  by The EGE

I'm glad to see they haven't ripped apart the tunnel, but instead re-purposed it. It'll be kept well-maintained for the facility - probably preserving it longer than it would have lasted otherwise.
 #1087405  by 3rdrail

I think that how it's kept up will really depend on how often the T uses it's facilities, Egg. Federal installations on non-federal property sometimes are not kept up, particularly if they are not used regularly. Property owners have been known to use such locations in ways they were never meant to be used. The installation on Randall's Island that R36 mentioned is primarily a City of New York investment. It's located within the FDNY's Academy and hundreds of recruit firefighters use it, as well as seasoned firefighters in in-service training learning about the latest techniques in fighting subway fires and other emergencies. It is a full scale replica of a subway station, complete with various vintage cars, platform, mosaic tilework- you'd think you were at 42nd St./Times Sq. Station ! It also has things that 42nd St. doesn't have like instant smoke, diversion equipment, various lighting controls, crowd control, instant flame, simulated electrical discharge, etc. I'd like to think that it is the model for Broadway's adaptation. I can picture in my head a crowd waiting for an inbound Red Line train to take them into town when all of a sudden they hear police, fire, and EMS sirens outside with smoke and yelling eminating from above ! Well, at least it will make commuting more interesting ! :-)
 #1087427  by Charliemta

wicked wrote:Car is put into the tunnel.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012/09 ... rit=135293

"A large crane will lower [ed note: this has now happened] a retired Blue Line subway car into the MBTA’s underground Emergency Training Center this morning, where officials say first responders will eventually undergo training in realistic conditions for emergencies on subway, trolley cars, and buses."
It would have been cool if they had instead built a temporary track from the Cabot Yard to the tunnel, and ran the subway car into it that way. It would have been easy to build, just across the street at the same elevation.
 #1087431  by 3rdrail

Charliemta wrote:
It would have been cool if they had instead built a temporary track from the Cabot Yard to the tunnel, and ran the subway car into it that way. It would have been easy to build, just across the street at the same elevation.
It probably needs to be (I hope !) a fixed installation anyway so that all the special f/x can be hard-wired.
 #1088465  by Gerry6309

To clarify things a bit. Everything built after 1912 was designed to meet the Cambridge Subway width and height specs, but not the curvature spec. The Hawkers do not exceed that spec, since they operated in the pre-1912 sections of the East Boston Tunnel. The curves and loop in the Broadway Tunnel are the same as those in the Boylston St. Tunnel and the Kenmore Extension.
 #1088540  by 3rdrail

I believe that they are stationairy installations, Gerry.
 #1088918  by Gerry6309

3rdrail wrote:I believe that they are stationairy installations, Gerry.
Yes but there is one of those curves between the portal and the platform! The bottom line is - they fit.
 #1088929  by 3rdrail

A few dings and dents will just give it that "realistic touch" ! :-)
(What did you, rise from the grave ?)
 #1148424  by 3rdrail

Fred Rabin wrote:What streetcar lines operated through this tunnel and station?
Looking at a Route Map, it looks like 8 - 9 - 10 - 11.
 #1193797  by StevieC48

They opend the facility today and from the photos looks great.