Railroad Forums 

• MBTA Radio Frequencies?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1219995  by BostonUrbEx

Is the switch to digital so people cannot listsen in (for "security" reasons)? Or is it superior in signal strength/some other means?
 #1220021  by diburning

Both. With digital radios, they can cut out eavesdroppers, as well as cut out background noise, signal distortion, interference from electronics, as well as interference from people not authorized to transmit on the frequency. It's basically a large private conference call.
 #1220173  by typesix

BostonUrbEx wrote:Is the switch to digital so people cannot listsen in (for "security" reasons)? Or is it superior in signal strength/some other means?
Digital by itself doesn't mean it can't be heard, there are digital radio scanners(at a much higher price than analog). The radio system the T accepted however, is not listenable by any digital scanner.
Digital radio has been promoted as being superior to analog, but that is assuming it's properly implemented, there are systems out there(non-transit) that have been a nightmare for the users.
 #1220265  by MattW

According to Radio Reference, the ProVoice standard can indeed be monitored by a software package. I won't link the exact page, but if you Google "m/a com provoice" you can find the information. It would be a bit complex to setup, but it seems to be possible. Check your local laws first though. I do not know if it is technically encrypted which would make its reception illegal or not and will not speculate.
 #1220388  by BostonUrbEx

So it seems I can only listen in on the Red Line (with a rather poor signal, too). I'm wondering if the Red Line will remain analog until the current overhaul program comes to a close.
 #1220834  by BandA

MattW wrote:According to Radio Reference, the ProVoice standard can indeed be monitored by a software package. I won't link the exact page, but if you Google "m/a com provoice" you can find the information. It would be a bit complex to setup, but it seems to be possible. Check your local laws first though. I do not know if it is technically encrypted which would make its reception illegal or not and will not speculate.
So the problem is that not only you and I can't listen in, but that in case of disaster, the radio system is incompatible with industry standards? http://www.monitoringtimes.com/mteditorialapr07.pdf
 #1221524  by MNCRR9000

What type of portables is the mbcr using ? I gather that they are probably not using the digital radios.
 #1221691  by tvachon

MNCRR9000 wrote:What type of portables is the mbcr using ? I gather that they are probably not using the digital radios.
They can continue to use the motorolas until the switchover is ready for them, then they have no choice but to go to m/-com systems.

Luckily, Harris bought the tyco business unit which bought m/a-com and since Harris is a major federal contractor (read this as the sole provider of radios to the federal government in recent memory), they are showing an initiative to make opensky and p25 interoperable (http://pspc.harris.com/Solution/NetworkFirst.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Frankly buying tyco'a bu and doing network first is in their own interest, interoperable systems benefit Harris more than harm it.
 #1221734  by typesix

The commuter side will remain analog, as will other railroads. Some railroads have bought digital capable radios, but for now they will remain analog. The only things on the T going digital and non-listenable are the non-railroad rapid/streetcar/bus lines.
 #1299283  by StevieC48

Sorry but I usually know about the scanner and radio issues, However does anyone know if there is a live scanner feed for the T or AMTRAK corridor and CSX Ty
 #1299697  by Gerry6309

Just for information sake, the MBTA went digital to allow a dispatcher and driver/operator to converse without interfering with other calls, broadcasts and emergencies. It wasn't to shut the public out. Since a large number of sub channels are possible, it would be difficult to monitor. Of course - in this day and age - anything can be hacked.
 #1299699  by StevieC48

Also this was also done so all lines, PD, etc could talk to each other in any situation without having to go through OCC and the OCC can patch or link the radios with their consoles too. Only exception when there would be no two way radio's used is for a suspicious package or suspicious item. The reason is because the two way transmission my inadvertently set off the trigger if it is an explosive device.
 #1365546  by dbperry

MBTA Subway and Bus operations can be heard with new firmware for one particular model of scanner.
the Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP and BCD536HP scanners can now monitor the Digital ProVoice format with a paid upgrade.
http://www.trainaficionado.com/mbtaprovoice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Need to get me one of these!