Railroad Forums 

• Gov't Center Closure 2014 Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1268760  by MBTA1016

diburning wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:The headhouse is officially torn down. Link: https://twitter.com/7news/status/464125099676008448" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That link doesn't work.
Ok thanks for the info diburning, refer to mcoov's link for what I was talking about :)

Link to the mbta twitter feed with video of the headhouse demolition: https://twitter.com/mbta/status/464540495293997056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully it works this time
 #1268930  by The EGE

So we're now up to two uncovered Scollay Under signs, one found in April and one found two days ago. I believe that makes four known signs - there was already this one at the Bowdoin end of the Bowdoin-bound platform, and this other one on the Wonderland end of the Wonderland-bound platform under the stairs. Does anyone know where the two newly found signs are?
 #1279936  by Yellowspoon

I was in Park Street on July 1st and noticed that the westbound D trains now leave on track 2 and the E trains leave on track 1. When did this change take place?

But at the same time, eastbound Riverside trains that terminate at Park Street still offload all their passengers on track 4. Which raises the question: why? Why not loop the D trains from track 3 to track 2?
 #1279949  by Mcoov

Yellowspoon wrote:Why not loop the D trains from track 3 to track 2?
It's been a while since I was at Park St., but the last time I was there, this was the practice I witnessed. I also saw a three-car D train offload on track 4, then head out to get turned at Scollay.

So to answer your question, it may be a congestion thing, or it may be a radius thing, but to my knowledge, Bs and Ds were getting turned on the Park St. loop.
 #1279988  by sery2831

It's congestion that has cars still turning at Gov't Center. Three car trains can turn at Park St with no issues at all.
 #1280193  by Yellowspoon

sery2831 wrote:It's congestion that has cars still turning at Gov't Center. Three car trains can turn at Park St with no issues at all.
If they turn Riverside cars at GC, then why did westbound Riverside/HeathStreet swap berths?
 #1280197  by sery2831

At off peak times it's easy to turn the Riverside cars at Park St. Heath St cars are always going to come from Gov't center. So why not have the option.
 #1291536  by Yellowspoon

saulblum wrote: During Government Center's closure, Green Line trains can pass through Government Center station but not stop there. The last downtown stop will generally be the following for each branch:

• B Line (Boston College) will end at Park Street
• C Line (Cleveland Circle) will end at North Station
• D Line (Riverside) will end at Park Street during rush hours, and North Station at other times
• E Line will end at Lechmere
On Sunday, 07-SEP-14, I boarded a North Station bound train at Waban. That agrees with the above statement. That afternoon, while waiting at Park Street for a train to Haymarket, several trains marked "PARK STREET" dumped their passengers and deadheaded north, presumably to turn at Government Center. BC trains were turning at Park. So, many people waited at North Station for a Riverside train that never arrived. I equate the MBTA's lack of consistency to be a lack of concern for customers.
 #1291661  by TrainManTy

Yellowspoon wrote: On Sunday, 07-SEP-14, I boarded a North Station bound train at Waban. That agrees with the above statement. That afternoon, while waiting at Park Street for a train to Haymarket, several trains marked "PARK STREET" dumped their passengers and deadheaded north, presumably to turn at Government Center. BC trains were turning at Park. So, many people waited at North Station for a Riverside train that never arrived. I equate the MBTA's lack of consistency to be a lack of concern for customers.
Railroads have many operational considerations that they are under no obligation to explain to the traveling public or the internet at large. Service communication is important and is sometimes lacking, but that's no grounds to jump to that conclusion. And people wonder why railroaders aren't always friendly to railfans...
 #1293287  by ns3010

The main headhouse structure is up! This is the larger portion of the headhouse, which will be the paid area. The pre-faregate area will be a shorter glass box on the front side of the larger glass box.

Only the main structure is done, there is still secondary steelwork to be done before glass can be placed. It seems they're trying to get this part of the headhouse built so the hole into the station won't be openly exposed to the winter elements.
20140915_161710.jpg