Railroad Forums 

• Gov't Center Closure 2014 Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1264450  by BostonUrbEx

Mcoov wrote:I passed through Govt. Center yesterday northbound, and I saw the escalators off.
Well, then. That completely throws that explanation out the window (which came directly from the MBTA itself, by the way (via Twitter)).
 #1264470  by nomis

I can back up what Mccov saw ... as i saw the same last night.
 #1264720  by deathtopumpkins

Just passed through Gov't Center this afternoon, and the T has put up a fence with plastic sheeting along most of the eastbound platform, so you can't see very much of the work from trains anymore.
 #1264876  by Robert Paniagua

The Government Center blue line level station is now a huge mess. they also installed fencing along the blue line platform. aThey only have somewhat of a tarp covering the fence but still need to have a tarp for the remainder of the fencing
 #1265838  by SM89

They have signs on the barriers directing people to State and Park, but they seem to be extremely misleading. I'd be surprised if anyone would be able to find State using them.

On another note, does anyone know what the deal is with the City Hall Plaza entrance to State? The one next to the columns of 28 State St along Washington Mall. I understand it's only open weekdays, but it's been surrounded by Transit Police fencing for ages and has no signage at all. It's State's closest entrance to Government Center so I'm surprised they didn't spruce it up a bit now that Government Center is closed.
 #1265882  by octr202

Just got this alert:
Park St: Beginning Wed, Apr 30, the D & E branches will switch berths with D branch trains berthing on Track 2 & E branch trains berthing on Track 1
To allow more regular looping at Park St?
 #1266051  by FP10

So the birth switching was on uhub this morning. Some of the comments have mentioned this may cause problems dealing with headway issues. This got me wondering, how is the four track segment between Boylston and Park set up with manual vs automatic switches? I was wondering if they could hold trains on one track, and have another pass it to get to park first, instead of gumming up the works holding it on the platform.
 #1268459  by MBTA1016

The headhouse is officially torn down. Link: https://twitter.com/7news/status/464125099676008448" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1268490  by The EGE

It's unavoidable. Government Center is a major transfer station, and it has to be ADA compliant (wheelchair accessible). There's no way around it. It needs a complete reconstruction - it hasn't gotten one since 1963 - and it's quicker and cheaper to do it by closing the station.