Railroad Forums 

• Harvard Square Station and Tunnel Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1444222  by BostonNative

I recall the original station very well. I would describe it as a very "tidy", well-built, and well-maintained station. I also remember the incredible noise waiting for an inbound train on the lower platform when a terminating train pulled in upstairs - it was quite loud. The station had really nice light fixtures - totally unlike those found in most of the then-MTA system. I can also just recall riding beyond Harvard to Stadium station for football games at Harvard Stadium and boarding trains there on the way home. And, betraying my age :-) , I also recall riding the old Osgood-Bradley cars; as a child I liked to ride on one of the cars that had been "modernized" with fluorescent lights, upholstered seats, and a colorful, orange paint job. When the "bluebirds" were introduced in 1963 (do I have the year correct?) we were so impressed with how "modern" they were compared to the "old" cars. But I did/do miss the Osgoods. There was just something about that traction sound...

Two observations: the old station configurations were MUCH better when it came to transfers. I saw mention of Egleston and Forest Hills and I would add that Ashmont, Dudley and the old Sullivan Square stations were impressive structures with good covered transfer facilities. That new platform for trolleys at Ashmont - what was the MBTA thinking?

Second: I read an article one time about the importance of keeping the trackless trolley routes in Cambridge. It turns out that trackless trolley systems are considered "fixed guideway" [electric propulsion] routes (like trolley lines, light-, and heavy-rail.) Some modern federal disbursements are based on the length of fixed guideway routes, so it's in the interest of the MBTA to keep the Cambridge system. Pity that these disbursements weren't available when Boston had more trolley and trolleybus lines!
 #1444281  by Austin023

I seems like the original Harvard station had a rather complex layout, from the diagrams and pictures. I can not really think of any station on the T that would be very comparable to it.
The temporary Harvard-Holyoke station (inbound) was built into the tunnel, across from the original station's lower platforms---does anyone have any pictures of it from when it was still in use, 1981-83?

I have only seen it in its abandoned state, though I was a little surprised to see that it looks pretty much intact. The wall tiling looks kind of like what is used in the stations on the Alewife extension.
 #1444304  by Charliemta

Thank you all for the great memories. I was in 8th grade when the Bluebirds came on line, and I thought, wow, these are incredibly quiet compared to the old previous cars.

One time when I was very young I remember seeing one of the original Blue Line cars stopped at the Harvard Station in the 1950's. Is that possible? I recognized it by the unique external swing hinge that it's doors had.
 #1444320  by MBTA3247

Charliemta wrote:One time when I was very young I remember seeing one of the original Blue Line cars stopped at the Harvard Station in the 1950's. Is that possible?
Yep. Until Orient Heights opened in 1952, Blue Line cars had to go to the Red Line's Eliot Shops for maintenance, transferring between lines via a former trolley track left in place from the portal in the middle of Cambridge Street and over the Longfellow Bridge.
 #1444359  by F-line to Dudley via Park

RenegadeMonster wrote:The temp Harvard stop is the location where you see like wood steps and subway tile in the tunnel right? Or am I thinking of two different locations?
Yes. Part of it is hidden behind the cinder block wall that blocked off access to the old tunnel, so there's another couple car lengths' worth of station platform in that same tile livery out-of-view from passing trains. John's photo album from this thread has pics inside that small hidden portion.
 #1444435  by F-line to Dudley via Park

RenegadeMonster wrote:Thanks,

Wow, those are really great pictures. Where you still see track. Is that part of the current red line or abandoned rail?
All hardware was removed right down to the tunnel floor in the abandoned tunnels and in the blocked-off section of Harvard-Holyoke platform behind the wall, so if the photo has any rails in it that's all active Red Line.
 #1444551  by Charliemta

Harvard bus tunnel when it was a combo bus and trolley tunnel, is on this video on YouTube from the early 1950s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylAmAjRELXc&t=174s

He says the south portal has since been filled in, which is obviously incorrect.