Railroad Forums 

• Blue Line Extension ROW

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#932090  by NH2060

Regarding where to align the track from Wonderland to Lynn, wouldn't it make more sense to route it via the Lynnway? For one it would serve A LOT more residents and potentially remove a large chunk of the Lynnway's traffic. Second, running it along the B&M tracks IMO seems rather pointless since it would accomplish nothing more than what the commuter trains do anyway. Plus, wouldn't it take alot longer to just get approval to build it through the marsh?
 #932093  by BostonUrbEx

Routing via the Lynnway simply means it's just a little closer to serving the ocean, and you would definitely need an el or subway for that. Also, running all the way to Salem would remove at least Swampscott Station from the CR, provide a cheaper and more frequent service to a city which is not-so-wealthy, and remove the need for infill commuter rail stations (of which, I can think of a few that could be killed, especially if the BL were to one day run Maverick Sq - Chelsea Center - Eastern Route all the way to Salem).
 #932682  by canobiecrazy

It's very upsetting to me that the BL hasn't been extended to Lynn yet.

Very, very few people actually use the CR station in Lynn, and whenever I go there, whether Railfanning or actually using the CR to get into Boston, I get accosted by strange people asking for cigarettes or money while waiting for the late, infrequent train. You can also see hypodermic needles by the tracks, shattered by the vibrations of the train.
 #932689  by 3rdrail

canobiecrazy wrote:It's very upsetting to me that the BL hasn't been extended to Lynn yet.

Very, very few people actually use the CR station in Lynn, and whenever I go there, whether Railfanning or actually using the CR to get into Boston, I get accosted by strange people asking for cigarettes or money while waiting for the late, infrequent train. You can also see hypodermic needles by the tracks, shattered by the vibrations of the train.
Just do what I do. Wear a big sign that says "TB-KEEP DISTANCE !" I know that it means "Trolley Buff" but they don't !
 #937646  by Charliemta

The State Transportation Library of Massachusetts would likely have some documentation on a Blue Line extension to Lynn. It's at 10 Park Plaza in downtown Boston.
 #937740  by FP10

The Boston Architectural Center is also where I got the documents on the 90s proposal to Beverly (I scanned a few pages in earlier in this thread). They have a decent selection on other transit related things as well. Adams_Umass_Boston can probably comment as to whether the library is open to the general public, or just BAC students.
 #937815  by Adams_Umass_Boston

First we are open to the public to view books/documents.

I know I have personally acquired a few in my tenure at the school. I would still go to the State Transportation Library. There collection development is based on that material. However, the Boston Public Library - Copley branch has a quite a bit too. They are in the process of digitizing those collections. Since they are government produced they should be copy right free.

Again I know we have a few things here at the BAC on transportation. The one that I know students use is this book.
http://library.the-bac.edu/vwebv/holdin ... ibId=39370 This is also available at the BPL.

We have another book, but it has seen zero usage and went to our off site storage.
http://library.the-bac.edu/vwebv/holdin ... ibId=38548

As for the BPL. A quick search resulted in 6 items
http://bostonpl.bibliocommons.com/searc ... se=catalog

If anyone is looking for something specific, feel free to message me off this list.
 #951675  by BostonUrbEx

Hey guys, I made a video this evening. It's already up but it may still be processing and unavailable to you guys or is not available in higher quality yet.

It is the first in hopefully a series of videos informing and advocating for rapid transit expansion. It only took a couple hours so I'm moderately pleased with it, but I did realize I left a few things out. Hopefully some follow up videos later on will address everything. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMUP2VJ6ZAE

Enjoy!

*Raises a glass* To the BLX!
 #951678  by 3rdrail

Just gave it a thumbs up !
 #951689  by The EGE

I like it. My only complaint is that the potential stations could have their names bolded or in red or something to make them easier to see.
 #954424  by ftran999

This is something new to me. If the state legislature had voted differently in 1941 we wouldn't even have a Blue Line let alone talking about an extension to Lynn.

From the Revere Journal from the "Through the Years" Section:

70 years ago
July 24, 1941

The Mass. House rejected a
bid by city and state officials to
take over the former roadbed
of the defunct Narrow Gauge
Railroad to build a new roadway
from East Boston to Point of
Pines.
 #954468  by 3rdrail

Good catch. And build a road they would have done ! They were building like crazy then. It's funny as the abandonment of ROW's generally was the kiss of death for future rail activitry, but in this case, the abandonment of this ROW actually preserved it for future rail use.
 #997675  by Arlington

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:... Keep in mind also that if they revisit Urban Ring Phase II and skip the asinine BRT step in favor of light rail from the start the Everett-Chelsea-Airport leg can go as a Green Line branch off Lechmere and subsume Chelsea from the Eastern Route schedule for an even faster trip + a whole crapload more transfer ridership to the outer Blue.
Anyone's rail dreams for the Everett-Chelsea-Airport Urban Ring have just been set back: Massport says they've broken ground on the conversion CSX's below-grade East Boston line into a paved East Boston Bypass Road, which, like the South Boston Haul Road, will be dedicated to commercial traffic (taxi, freight, and bus, including the Employee parking shuttle).

Press release here: http://www.massport.com/news-room/News/ ... sRoad.aspx
Plans/schematics here: http://www.massport.com/environment/env ... assENF.pdf

Ground was broken Oct 28th. Completion expected about December 2012.
 #997796  by FatNoah

Anyone's rail dreams for the Everett-Chelsea-Airport Urban Ring have just been set back:
I argue that this is actually a step TOWARDS rail version of the Urban Ring. Most of the work being done to widen the ROW, shore up walls, improve drainage, etc. would all have to be done for rail anyway on this stretch of dedicated ROW. When the time comes to implement later phases of the Urban Ring, less work will be required in this area.