Railroad Forums 

• Quiz...

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#643037  by 3rdrail

StevieC48 wrote:Yes John and Paul got the answer correct, they had diffrent components underneath. One would be the BATTERY car and the other would be the BATTERY car. When the Hawker Siddleys came they had equal equipment on each car.
If they're both "battery cars", what's the difference ?
 #643044  by StevieC48

Well the #4 cars were built with new technology and smaller components. So they put batteries on both cars and didnt trainline them electricly just for the controller and both got chargers on each car too since each car had its own pantograph,the car would charge its own battery. Also due to their small stature they were not able to put all the components under the 1,2 & 3 cars, so they had to seperate the components on car got the compressor one got the batteries and were also permenantly couppled together.

Hope that helps if not ask Gerry he has better techinological info I forgot alot unfourtnately.
 #643075  by Gerry6309

Until 1952, the No. 1 and 2 East Boston cars were simply back to back single units. Starting in 1952, only the even numbered cars carried the pantograph and batteries.

The No. 3 EBT cars, No. 11 Elevated Cars, No. 5 Cambridge Cars and No. 1 South Shore Cars (01600s only) carry an air compressor on the odd cars and an MG/Static Converter plus batteries on the even cars.

The No.4 EBT cars, No. 11 Elevated Cars, No. 1 South Shore Cars(01500s) and No. 2 South Shore Cars are single units coupled back-to-back.

The No. 5 EBT cars and No. 3 South Shore Cars are married pairs, but I don't know how equipment is distributed.

All EBT cars except No. 4 use solid drawbars between the pairs. All Red Line cars use couplers except for the No. 3 South Shore Cars which use drawbars. All elevated cars use couplers.
 #643084  by 3rdrail

Thanks Gerry !
 #643130  by Gerry6309

RTSPCC indicates that the specs indicate the No. 4 EBT and No. 12 Elevater cars are set up as traditional married pairs. The weights are qqual though, which indicates otherwise. Can someone from Orient or Wellington verify this?
 #643243  by 3rdrail

Aside from sometimes having different component(s), married pairs offer better safety and convenience regarding coupling cars. Perhaps the cars are identical and married.
 #643914  by StevieC48

I was tied up in the hospital but Gerry ans Paul had the correct answer, I keep forgetting not too many railfans know the (under the hood) stuff at time so I apologize for a question like that. Stevie :wink:
 #643946  by BigUglyCat

StevieC48 wrote:I was tied up in the hospital but Gerry ans Paul had the correct answer, I keep forgetting not too many railfans know the (under the hood) stuff at time so I apologize for a question like that. Stevie :wink:
Stevie: No sweat. It led to an interesting discussion. Isn't that why we're all here?

Pete :-)
 #644007  by StevieC48

Yea but with my involvement with the workings of trolley and subway cars I forget lol, But you are correct. :wink:
 #644030  by Gerry6309

The technology keeps changing, as do the railfane. Old timers like Steve, Paul and myself have to keep up. At the same time we have to pass on our knowledge of the older technology to the younger generation. Otherwise the knowledge is lost, and we all know that "Those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them."

LRV 1975 \ Type 8 - 1995
 #644119  by 3rdrail

I never got beyond PCC's ! What do ya say those new fangled thingys are called again, L R V's ? What does that stand for, Long Range Velocepede ? Used to ride one to the grocery store ! Aye ? Speak up, my hearing aid battery is dyin' !!!
 #644246  by StevieC48

LOL too true
 #644671  by StevieC48

This might be a give away. How were the #4 Blue Line and #12 Orange Line cars , Hawker Siddley Cars,delivered to the T in 1977-1981?
 #644724  by dieciduej

They were the last of "On Their On Wheels" deliveries, for transit cars in Boston. The first set of #4 East Bostons arrived October 27 or 28, 1978. A special connection was made to the Blue Line near Wood Island Station. The #12 Main Lines arrival date escapes me at the moment, sometime during the Summer of '79, but they arrived via the Reading/Medford Branch with a connection right into Wellington Yard. That connection is still in place but tree-bound.

JoeD
 #644735  by Gerry6309

The actual location of the Blue Line delivery connection was at the west end of the Neptune Rd. Tunnel, where the Blue Line and the East Boston Branch came parallel. I am not sure if the East Boston Branch even gets that far now.