Railroad Forums 

• MBTA Subway/Commuter Rail Models

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1467677  by MBTA3247

Strictly speaking, those are MLV cars in a fantasy paint scheme.
 #1467728  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: This is what multilevels would look like in the MBTA color scheme if the MBTA ordered
them to add to the K cars that they have. Not sure if anyone is aware of this stat-the MBTA and
MARC bilevels are of the same height and stand a full foot taller then the LIRR C3 and more then
that over the Multilevel - which were built for the confines of the tunnels into Penn Station. Both
K car types can not operate into Penn Station because they do not clear overhead wire in tunnels.

All one would need would be a MBTA Bombardier ALP45DP to run with the MLV cars. Could MBTA
test one on South Station service? It could operate in E mode on the Providence Line and diesel
elsewhere - electric into Back Bay and South Station. Those AMT units may become available at
some point depending on what gets converted to RMT remembering their expensive price tag.

One of the best aspects of modeling is being able to vision or fantasize what rail equipment would
look like serving your favorite railroad - or to model one's favorite prototype. It's all good... :wink:

MACTRAXX
 #1467788  by BandA

I noticed that the model pricing is supposedly "different" due to the MBTA licensing fee, lol.

To this casual observer, I can't tell the difference between this MLV model & the Kawasaki "K" T coach. I also can't tell the cab car model from the btc model, perhaps because it is only a side view. It obviously doesn't match the Hyundai/Rotem coaches because it doesn't look like it's been pounded with a ball-peen hammer. I imagine if you take these model coaches & attach it to a model HSP-46 the heights should not line up...

I too think the MBTA should be running electric Boston-Providence. First you'd need to model an Amtrak/MBTA joint repair facility or two separate facilities, second the "T" would need a favorable electricity price. Third you'd need electric locomotives that cost less to buy than diesel.
 #1467859  by NH2060

Well.. there will in a couple of years be some extra ALP-45DPs up for grabs once RTM in Montreal eliminates all electric commuter trains :wink:
 #1467954  by CRail

Mod Note: This has gone WAY off the rails. Keep the discussion relevant to MBTA equipment that actually exists or models thereof that actually exist.
 #1467978  by CRail

In O Scale there is just about everything ever run from the Boston Elevated Railway to a Type 7. I've seen Centre Entrance cars, side dumps, 2 beds and a bath, a model of every "Type" (except 8s, and I suppose 9s too since they also exist now), etc. Most of this stuff is custom built though, very little is available off the shelf. St. Petersburg has the most vast selection of Boston based models available off the shelf, but they're mostly of PCCs (I believe they also made Pullman tracklesses).
 #1467989  by jwhite07

are there models of the T work equipment? And the old trolleys?
Best bet in HO scale would be brass... I know there were Type 4s (I own one), Type 5s, and Center Entrance cars imported. And PCCs of most varieties in brass, plastic, resin. Not sure about work cars, but then again I haven't been looking for those.

The Shapeways link I posted for the vendor who designed 3D printed HO scale Type 7 models also lists a chassis, but as yet no body, for a Type 8.
 #1468045  by djimpact1

BandA wrote:are there models of the T work equipment? And the old trolleys?
In mass production, doubtful on the HO-front. On the private side though, anything's possible...
Attachments:
The three LRV work cars, all rehabbed & running smoothly
The three LRV work cars, all rehabbed & running smoothly
16113353_957168051085362_2637827948668856159_o.jpg (270.03 KiB) Viewed 5951 times
3417 on side track & 3448 on duty
3417 on side track & 3448 on duty
14656412_898530836949084_5405727970751335210_n.jpg (345.52 KiB) Viewed 5951 times