Railroad Forums 

• Abandoned Commuter Rail Stations

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1423341  by Aerie

B&Mguy wrote:Is the set of concrete stairs off of the bridge at College Ave the old access point to the Tufts stop? I've tried to locate any traces of this station, but haven't been too successful. The MBTA must have eliminated traces of it pretty quickly after service ended in 1979.
The Tufts station, both the original B&M station and the MBTA station from the 70's was located across from Dearborn Road, which is considerably down Boston Ave. from the bridge at College Ave. The University built a new police station on the site of the B&M station (not sure what that building is now), and when the MBTA restored the stop, you'd walk around the police station to get to the platforms. In the following google picture, the building I'm referring to as the police station is on the right, and you'd get to the tracks down the driveway to its left: http://tinyurl.com/zjqsaax" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The MBTA platform was only maybe 25-30 feet long...basically one door on one Budd car.
 #1423378  by TomNelligan

Rockingham Racer wrote:Lowell Jct. used to be a stop. Not sure if it had a station.
Yes, in ancient times Lowell Junction had a combination station/tower, but it was gone well before the MBTA era. This photo is scanned from the 1975 book New England Diesels by Dave Albert and George F. Melvin.
Attachments:
lowell junction.jpg
lowell junction.jpg (231.53 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
 #1428561  by The EGE

I've sure most of you are familiar with this carved stone on Columbus Avenue next to some of the Back Bay headhouses:

The stone was part of the second Back Bay station, built in 1929 and demolished in 1979. When constructing the modern station in the 1980s, the decision was made to reuse the stone as a connection with history.

What isn't as well-known is that other pieces of the old station were also reused. I've managed to identity some of them, and I would welcome knowledge of any more.

There's this locomotive carving, which used to be on the west face of the station and is now on the ventilation stack:

There's this carving on the end of St. Charles Street, and a similar one on Cazenove Street, which can also be seen in the 1979 photo I linked above.

And there are several reused metal canopies: