Railroad Forums 

• MBTA's MPI HSP-46 Locomotives

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1377356  by daylight4449

ACeInTheHole wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:Just to add on to what 1118 wrote, the P&W booted MPI and the T out of their Worcester shops many months ago
Probably was causing problems for their own engines accomodating so many HSPs
I drive by their shop a number of times a week... The HSPs owned the joint. They had room out front for their stuff, but not much else...
 #1377469  by Backshophoss

The prime movers and inverters were supplied by GE,if the problem is in the Inverters,
that's GE's problem,some of GE's vendors/suppliers have had quality control issues in the past
(remember all the turbocharger failures GE had :P )
 #1395222  by MEC407

There is definitely a particulate component in the regulations, but to answer the original question, yes, you will certainly see some occasional smoke from Tier 3 locomotives from time to time. EMD and GE alike.
 #1397630  by NaugyRR

Bramdeisroberts wrote:Oh I'm sure there is, I'm guessing that it's simply nowhere near as stringent as the regs for new on-road diesels are.

I can only imagine the blowback from a loco going dead mid-trip because the prime mover had to do another re-gen cycle on the particulate filter.
How would the locomotive die from going into re-gen? I'm curious because the Tier-4 tractors and skid-steers I work with can be operated normally during their re-gen. They will usually announce that they are in their cycle through an idiot light on the instrument panel or a message on the display, but typically operating the unit through the cycle is encouraged. In fact, stopping or shutting down the unit during re-gen is advised against.

Do locomotives bypass the generator and axle motors during re-gen? That's the only way I could see a locomotive getting K.I.A. during re-gen. On the ag equipment, the exhaust gasses need to get HOT for the EGR/afterburner to be effective in purging the particulate filter, I can't imagine a locomotive prime mover being too different.