Railroad Forums 

• Rotem Cars Discussion (new bi-level cars)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#606873  by Jersey_Mike

As long foreign firms continue to flood our domestic railcar market with cheap imports, any hope of reviving the high quality American railcar industry will be non-existent. After Budd closed in 1986 all of the skills necessary to design and built a good railcar in this country have basically evaporated leaving us at the mercy of a parade of government subsidized Johnny-come-lately Asian tigers peddling fall apart designs. Before we start having to deal with the made in China label with whatever lead or radiation that entails the government regulations for the spending of federal transit dollars needs to change requiring that all design and frame fabrication needs to be carried out domestically. When I say frame fabrication I mean that the only thing imported is the ore. I can never see why domestic final assembly is seen as adequate, let alone some sort of victory. There's no value added in it. Any old schulb can fit rod A into slot C. We need to get the high tech, high skilled design and metallurgical work back in this country. Let's hope the new economic stimulus that focuses on investments in transportation also invests in the industry that supports it which was stupidly allowed to die off.
 #606923  by realtype

Jersey_Mike wrote:As long foreign firms continue to flood our domestic railcar market with cheap imports, any hope of reviving the high quality American railcar industry will be non-existent. After Budd closed in 1986 all of the skills necessary to design and built a good railcar in this country have basically evaporated leaving us at the mercy of a parade of government subsidized Johnny-come-lately Asian tigers peddling fall apart designs. Before we start having to deal with the made in China label with whatever lead or radiation that entails the government regulations for the spending of federal transit dollars needs to change requiring that all design and frame fabrication needs to be carried out domestically. When I say frame fabrication I mean that the only thing imported is the ore. I can never see why domestic final assembly is seen as adequate, let alone some sort of victory. There's no value added in it. Any old schulb can fit rod A into slot C. We need to get the high tech, high skilled design and metallurgical work back in this country. Let's hope the new economic stimulus that focuses on investments in transportation also invests in the industry that supports it which was stupidly allowed to die off.
Wow. First off, since when have American brands produced "quality" anything, in any industry? If America loves the free-market so much, then domestic brands should be forced to compete with foreign brands instead of getting handouts, like the ridiculous bailout for the auto industry. The problem with American manufacturers, these days anyway, is that all they focus on is their bottom line and profit margins, instead of looking at what the consumer wants and producing a quality product accordingly.

I don't like anything made in Korea, because their quality doesn't come close to those from European or Japanese manufacturers. China probably has the worst quality standards in the world for cars, railcars, and everything else. GE is probably the only major American manufacturer that actually cares about quality products and has consistently churned them out. Well, they left the railcar business also, but I think Kawasaki, Alstom, B'dier etc., have more than provided as adequate replacements.
 #606997  by MBTA3247

realtype wrote:GE is probably the only major American manufacturer that actually cares about quality products and has consistently churned them out. Well, they left the railcar business also,
GE was never in the railcar business afaik.
 #607039  by realtype

MBTA3247 wrote:
realtype wrote:GE is probably the only major American manufacturer that actually cares about quality products and has consistently churned them out. Well, they left the railcar business also,
GE was never in the railcar business afaik.
Well, I'm counting the Silverliners and Budd/GE M2's as railcars, since they're more railcar than electric locomotive.
 #607712  by mbta1051dan

diburning wrote:According to NETransit, the Rotem cars will be numbered 8xx/18xx.
Right, the restroom coaches will be #s 800-846 and the non-restroom equipped cab cars will be 1800-1827. They will probably have stupid e-bells and solenoid K5LAs...

-Dan
 #607803  by diburning

mbta1051dan wrote:
diburning wrote:According to NETransit, the Rotem cars will be numbered 8xx/18xx.
Right, the restroom coaches will be #s 800-846 and the non-restroom equipped cab cars will be 1800-1827. They will probably have stupid e-bells and solenoid K5LAs...

-Dan
I was afraid of that...
 #608284  by Silverliner II

mbta1051dan wrote:

-Dan
Is it me, or does the MBTA always order an insanely high cab car-to-coach ratio? I'm flashing back to the 1600/600-series Bombardier order...that was practically a 1-for-1 order....
 #608285  by MBTA3247

Silverliner II wrote:
mbta1051dan wrote:

-Dan
Is it me, or does the MBTA always order an insanely high cab car-to-coach ratio? I'm flashing back to the 1600/600-series Bombardier order...that was practically a 1-for-1 order....
That seems to be fairly common, I know I've heard of a bunch of other commuter coach orders with a high ratio of cab cars. I expect that at least part of the reason is the additional inspections cab cars require, which lowers their availability.
 #608317  by ST214

The high number of control cars makes you wonder if the 1600's will be rebuilt without cabs like the Pullman's were.....
 #608375  by RailBus63

Silverliner II wrote:Is it me, or does the MBTA always order an insanely high cab car-to-coach ratio? I'm flashing back to the 1600/600-series Bombardier order...that was practically a 1-for-1 order....
The higher number of 1600-series cab cars did make sense because there were no cab cars purchased when they picked up the 350-389 series cars from Bombardier after the order was cancelled by Metro-North.
 #608491  by sery2831

diburning wrote:If they're short on coaches they could always slap a cab car into the middle of a consist and still use it as a cab car later on
The issue with having extra control cars is that they fall under the category of a locomotive and require inspections after every 92 days. The control cars of this order WILL replace the 1500s, there are 34 of them being replaced by 28 new cars.

And you often find active control cars in consists today both north and south sides.