Railroad Forums 

• Fitchburg Line Upgrade Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#677479  by cpf354

MBCR and the T didn't do much advance notice on the project becasue it "only" affects off-peak service beyond So. Acton. Of course more than one confused person equals mass confusion, and there are riders out yonder to Ayer and Fitchburg that use the affected trains. I was riding on 423 today and the crew member working the car I was on was patiently explaining the bus transfer at South Acton to each affected passenger, while the PA announcment at North Station also advised of the bus substitution. I did notice a sandwich board set up at Ayer yesterday, but saw nothing about it at North Station.
 #677506  by sery2831

There have been sandwich board signs at all the stops from South Acton to Fitchburg and signs up around North Station since last Tuesday.
 #677684  by ST214

Am i reading this right????

The affected trains will be runnning as 2 trains east of SA???

I also still don't understand why there will be no train Ayer-Fitchburg...They say maintence issues, but they have done it in the past, unless they're admitting there is not enough equipment to go around.

I also see the delay being longer than 20 minutes. I have a feeling i know the route the bus will take....it will take more than 20 minutes longer to do it.
sery2831 wrote:The next five weeks you will see this...
From mbta.com:
Beginning Monday June 1, 2009 and continuing for approximately 5 weeks:

~ Monday through Friday - 9:30 AM – 4:00 PM ~

Beginning Monday June 1, 2009, 12,000, ties will be replaced on the single track between South Acton and Ayer.

This project will last approximately 5 weeks and will necessitate busing passengers of mid-day trains between South Acton and Fitchburg (Outbound) and between Fitchburg and South Acton (Inbound).

Trains operating between Boston and South Acton (Outbound) and between South Acton and Boston (Inbound) will operate on schedule.

Inbound passengers being bused from Fitchburg, North Leominster, Shirley, Ayer and Littleton/Rte 495 Stations will be accommodated by an extra train located at South Acton. It is anticipated 20 minute delays may be experienced. These Inbound trains are #418, #420, #422 and #424.

Because of equipment maintenance issues, an extra train will not be located at Ayer to operate to and from the stations located west of Ayer. Passengers will be bused to those stations. It is anticipated 20 minute delays may be experienced. Outbound trains that will be bused are #417, #419, #421 and #423.

A PDF copy of the Fitchburg Line schedule may be obtained by clicking on this link: http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Docum ... rg_web.pdf

We apologize for any inconvenience that may be experienced because of this essential track work.
 #677927  by diburning

When they were bussing the Haverhill line, they contracted with Paul Revere Transportation (which ran old neoplan buses, but lets not get into that)

In short answer form, yes, they contract the bus service, and rarely if ever use regular MBTA buses for the commuter rail.
 #680604  by davidp

The tie gang was working between the Sargent Road and Depot Road crossings in Boxborough yesterday.

Dave
 #716476  by davidp

In recent weeks I've noticed that the signal located near MP at the Sargent Road crossing in Boxborough has been constantly lit. In the past this has always been an approach lit signal...has something changed as part of the Fitchburg Line upgrade program? Tie replacement between South Acton and WIllows seems to have been complete for the past couple of months - what happens next? Is the the plan still to raise train speeds on this section?

Thanks!
 #716748  by kwf

davidp wrote:In recent weeks I've noticed that the signal located near MP at the Sargent Road crossing in Boxborough has been constantly lit. In the past this has always been an approach lit signal...has something changed as part of the Fitchburg Line upgrade program? Tie replacement between South Acton and WIllows seems to have been complete for the past couple of months - what happens next? Is the the plan still to raise train speeds on this section?

Thanks!
I noticed the same thing at Hill's Crossing in Belmont a couple of years ago. It eventually went back to approach lit....
 #721860  by Mcoov

On my bike ride today, I saw both large piles of ties, and equipment near the old "Harwood" depot in Littleton.
 #721982  by ST214

Yup...check the advisories...trackwork MON-FRI for another month between Concord and South Acton. Delays of 20-30 minutes to off peak midday trains.
 #723288  by Mcoov

Does anybody know when the second track will be put in between S. Acton, and the Willows?
 #723296  by jaymac

Mcoov-
Pls check 130MM's postings of 16 and 19 JAN 09 in the "3" block of this forum.
 #723301  by Mcoov

From what I can make out, the double tracking has taken a back seat, but it will still occur.
 #723486  by sery2831

Seems as though the double track will not go all the way to the Willows. Looks like they want to fix the bottle neck at Acton then let it go back to single track.