Railroad Forums 

• What's with the new forum name?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#35622  by CSX Conductor

What's with the new forum name "MBTA Rail Operations"? Are we prohibiting chat about Bus service?

And will Rail Operations include both Commuter Rail and subways?

#35633  by jwhite07

What's with the new forum name "MBTA Rail Operations"? Are we prohibiting chat about Bus service?
Apparently not, as we voted. The agreed-upon threads are still there, after all.
And will Rail Operations include both Commuter Rail and subways?
Looks that way to me. :D

#35641  by apodino

I think the new name was because some people feel that as an MBTA forum, they have carte blanche to talk about any MBTA subject forgetting that this is only part of Railroad.net. If you read the thread entitled whats with all the threads, or something like that, I think you will understand where CS is coming from.

I personally don't like it either, because you aren't going to stop the complaining and confusion about the bus policy just by a rename, but that is the rational behind the new name I think.

I don't know if any one has links to this forum from another site, but if thats true, some people viewing this forum might not even realize that this is part of Railroad.net. I doubt it, but I think it is something we have to keep in mind before shouting down someone who might be complaining.

One more thing. I know commuter boats aren't really mentioned that much, but the boats will be competing with Greenbush for ridership, and I think that we should create a "That boat thread" and have boat topics be covered under the same rules as buses, since boats are an MBTA service.

Just to avoid any confusion on the policy, here is a simple rule. If it is steered by a steering wheel, it is restricted to one thread, if it doesn't have a steering wheel, which only rail vehicles do, than it can be discussed. I know that Otto said steel wheel on steel rail, but there are systems that run on rubber tires on rails, Montreal and Paris come to mind. Still, that is of little relevance here.

#35673  by AEM7AC920

The name actually makes the MBTA sound like a railroad. :wink:

#35748  by Ron Newman

But Amtrak, unlike the MBTA, doesn't run anything except trains and stations.

#35818  by CS

I requested the name change after some people still didn't understand the whole bus thing.
Everything here as far as rules are the same, the bus threads will remain, as you guys voted on. I made the change so hopefully people will stop giving the excuse that "it's the MBTA forum, we can talk about anything in the MBTA".
I asked it to be changed to "MBTA Railfan" but Otto named it MBTA Rail Operations.

I'm not even going to answer the post about boat topics :wink:

#35820  by walt

I think that with any of these "transit" forums ( this would include SEPTA or WMATA etc. etc) there will always be the tendency for bus related topics to surface from time to time. This will be especially true for those applications in which diesel buses replaced streetcars--- often the routes are the same as in the streetcar era as well as methods of operating the routes.--- I do agree, however, that as this is a rail forum, that bus topics, where permitted, should probably have some relationship to the over all rail orientation of the forum.

#35942  by Otto Vondrak

Thought you guys wanted to talk about trains instead of "railfans." ;-)

Besides, "rail operations" is more descriptive. I dont know why people assume subway and light rail are cut out. If it uses flanged steel wheel on steel rail, and it has a circle-T on it, feel free to discuss it (also include- the PCC's on the Red Line even though they display no circle-T logo).

-otto-