• Boeing LRV Car doors

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BC Eagle

If you scroll down on that page, it says in 1994, 135 carsets of doors were contracted for the MBTA to refurbish the Boeings on the Green Line. Were there really 135 Boeings refurbished? If so, where did they all go? I was under the impression that there are less than 50 active Boeings right now. Did 85 really go out of service within 10 years?

by Xplorer2000

BC Eagle wrote:If you scroll down on that page, it says in 1994, 135 carsets of doors were contracted for the MBTA to refurbish the Boeings on the Green Line.
If you read your post, you'll have part of your answer: 135 door sets. Now, how mant door sets are there per LRV??? Answer: 6. Which equals 22.5 cars....Hmm that doesn't seem quite right.... How many rebuilt Boeings are there, anyways??? I'm soooo confused... :wink: :P

by jwhite07

Carset of doors = enough doors to do one car. 135 carsets of doors = enough doors to do 135 cars.

Only 55 Boeings were rebuilt. I dunno what the rest of the sets were for... spares maybe? Or did Amerail order that many in the hope that every Boeing the T had would be rebuilt... well, not even that makes much sense, because there were less than 100 Boeings left at the time the rebuild was done (and fewer still that were in any kind of rehabilitatable condition).

Who knows...

by AEM7AC920

I'm all confused but i thought the doors on all the boeings besides 3444 were rebuilt from the the plug one's because of the problems.

by jwhite07

No, only the Boeings that were rebuilt at Amerail received bi-fold doors. The Boeings that were not rebuilt were retired shortly thereafter.

by ST214

I remember seeing one of the un-rebuilt Boeings at Kenmore on my way back to North Station after attending a Red Sox game in either 97 or 98, and it had the old doors. It was bound for Gov't center, but an announcement was made that it was turning around. As the passengers uwere getting off, the rollsigns on the car all changed to B Boston College, and then it went up the incline, and came back down about 2 minutes later on the other side. That is the only un-rebuilt Boeing encounter i can remember.

By the way, research Curtis Door. They did the Doors on the Red line 01800's, and also on the Acela Express sets.