• DERAILMENT at South Station

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

By the way Corey, I was curios where you heard this 5MPH limit in station,.........so I grabbed the MBCR employee timetable.

Rule 37-E1 states Passenger and Freight train maximum speeds:
"Between North Station & Eastern Limits of Tower A" all tracks 10 MPH

by claytor

CSX "Technically" you are incorrect, as you enter South Station on a Slow Clear indication. The station tracks at South Station are not "yard tracks"they are mainline tracks,hence the signal located at the bunter post allows trains to enter the station tracks at "Slow Speed". There is a 10mph Temporary Speed Restriction in effect on all tracks and has been in place since the tunnel jacking took place under Tower 1.Track resettling may take up to 2 years.

by CSX Conductor

Claytor, I never said that they were "yard Tracks"....I know that they are main line tracks.....and I dont ever recall seeing a "Slow Clear" at Tower 1 heading east bound......only "Slow Approach" or "Restricting".

Additionally, Corey and I were discussing tracjs at North Station, not South.

by sery2831

Yah... There is no place you can get a 'slow clear' to a STOP SIGNAL!

by CSX Conductor

Yeah, Roger, Sery............while approaching a Stop........such as the end of track at South or North stations........the most you'd get at the last signal before the stop signal is a Restricting, an Approach, or in this case since in an interlocking, a Medium Approach, or a Slow Approach.

here is a link for those who would like to get up to par on NORAC signals.

http://www.vnerr.com/training/NORAC_Signal_Rules.htm