Railroad Forums 

• DERAILMENT at South Station

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#33028  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i just got back from talking to an engineer and there was a train derailment at South Station this morning. the engieer said that maybe 2 trains were racing to get to S. Station first and one of the train's control car hit a switch too hard and derailed it.

The engineer didn't know the whole story, but it was most likely that one. The engineer said it may have also been a sun kink

Etc

#33034  by Noel Weaver

I don't think engineers race to beat each other, what would be the point?
We did NOT do that in my day, at least not in a station area I can assure you.
Speed control in that area would prevent any running over what the speed
called for by the cab signal.
Probably a track or equipment defect.
Noel Weaver

#33040  by AEM7AC920

I'm thinking maybe a switch didn't set correctly.

#33052  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

no, that is what the engineer said. These two guys race their trains into S. station (see who gets their first so they can leave and go back to the South Hampton St. yard) and when they were pulling in the rear truck of the control car fell off the rails that is what the engineer told me, these two guys "race" every-day

#33093  by lstrong

Do you know which car? Was it in service? Which line was it on?

#33139  by CSX Conductor

Notso much "racing"....but probably more like waiting til the last minute for a strong slide into home. :wink:

seriously, since it is the end of track and Cab Signals would be on Restricting Indications.........both trains could d no more than 15 MPH within the Tower 1 Interlocking Limits. probably had to do with the rail.

#33161  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yea,j sorry i wasn't more clear, but they were going the speed limit, but trying to see who could get into the station first and leave first to get back to the yard. That is what the engineer told me

#34581  by claytor

No Engineer is going to "race" into South Station.The speed is 10mph and managers Radar the terminal frequently, they know this!. The locomotive Engineer involved would never sacrifice his livelyhood to "race". The moron who told you they were racing is baiting you, you bit. The train was travelling at 7 mph.

#34730  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i found out today that it was due to a damaged frog that derailed the truck of the train, and the speed of all south station tracks is 15 mph, and

BTW, i am sorry for using the word racing, i should have said it as getting into the station first and leaving first

#35076  by CSX Conductor

Technically since you are on a Restricting, the speed would be 15 MPH, prepared to stop in 1/2 the range of vision. :wink:

#35130  by AEM7AC920

Hey must of been some race at 15 MPH :wink:

#35245  by CRail

I am going off of limits at north station, which i figure is the same for south. When in yard limits, trains are supposed to be going only 5mph, but they go 10 and no one cares. All trains go in and out of N STA at 10 but the limit is technically 5. The station is out of cab signal territory so trains arent governed by the restricting incdication shown by the CSS. On the north side, none of the tracks have a DCS territory (no cab signals). The cab signal is alwayse at restricting. Imagine how the schedules would look if norac made u follow the cab signals. that'd be a long ride!

#35347  by CSX Conductor

nobody said anything about cab signals on the North Side...........knowing where cab signalsare in effect are part of one's qualifications!!

And DCS rules and Cab Signals are never used together. DCS rules are for territory that is not signalled, but rather controlled by Form D's. And as far as wayside signals near North Station, since the last signals you pass entering North Station are Restrictings........the same would apply in North and South Stations.

#35356  by CRail

Sorry, i was getting DCS confused. My point was that the cab signals do not govern the trains outside of cab signal territory. The limit is 5mph in station limits, but all of the trains go 10. My point about the north side was simply that outside of CSS (I think thats what is correct in place of DCS) territory, trains arent governed by the restricting aspect. The cab signal (i believe) would be at stop if it were in the territory because of the stop signals right before the buffers. (not that that has anything to do with anything) Thank you for clearing up what DCS Terr. is for me. I have a NORAC book and a CR engineer to help me along but i can still get confused.

#35626  by CSX Conductor

Corey, just so you know, there is no "Stop" aspect on cab signal equipment............Restricting would be the lowest displayed.

As for North Station, as I said before, the last signal before crossing th bridge would probably be no more than a Restricting.