Railroad Forums 

• Gov't Center Renovations (split from brattle loop thread)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#29542  by MBTAFan

I thought I had heard of plans within the next few years to rebuild the Government Center station. I had even seen picture of a proposed design online at some point.

The only reference I could find to it online was this article:
http://www.townonline.com/wakefield/new ... 152003.htm

I would assume this would include modernization of the Brattle loop.

#31109  by CJ

Yeah, to add room for the 6 car blueline trains

Well, i was around there about 2 weeks ago, and at the back of the station , someone left the door wide open! Why not explore... eerie, said "scollay under" on the wall, faded, but there... strange!

#31125  by BC Eagle

That article about Government Center says the project won't be completed until the end of 2006. Does this mean that the new Blue Line cars won't be used until then, or will they extend the Blue Line platforms first, then finish the rest of the project?

I found a site with some decent pictures of the design. I like how the text refers to City Hall Plaza as a "wasteland" and "urban impotence". :)

http://www.soul-d.com/home.jsp?body=caseTDA.jsp

#31129  by Ron Newman

They can't run 6-car trains until all platforms are extended -- not just GC, but also State, Maverick, and Orient Heights.

#31152  by BC Eagle

I knew about State and Maverick, but I thought I heard that Orient Heights wasn't getting a remodel because the platform was already long enough for six car trains. It's been so long since I've been to that station I haven't been able to check it out for myself

When the new cars come in will they use them in 4-car consists or wait until they can be used as 6-car trains.

#31157  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, they probably will be doing so, since the new Blue Line cars are supposed to be married pairs (two-car sets), unlike the NYCT R142-R142A, which are 5-car sets.

#31161  by Ron Newman

Regardless of whether Orient Heights platforms are long enough, that station desperately needs an overhaul.

After the Charles, Fields Corner, and Shawmut construction projects are finished, Orient Heights will be the most dilapidated remaining T station.

#31186  by BC Eagle

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. That's why it really stuck in my head when I heard it wasn't getting a remodel. In fact I think someone on this board said it.

#31250  by vanshnookenraggen

I hope that the T just rehabilitates OH. I like the design, but it will need to be made ADA complient.

#31373  by MBTAFan

CJ wrote:Yeah, to add room for the 6 car blueline trains
Well obviously the blue line platform will be lengthened, but I was referring to the Green line station above as well.

#31489  by CJ

MBTAFan wrote:
CJ wrote:Yeah, to add room for the 6 car blueline trains
Well obviously the blue line platform will be lengthened, but I was referring to the Green line station above as well.
Heh, yeah, well its part of it !

But umm, it SEEMS that OH only fits around 5.5 cars (like when an imbound train is stopped, and an outbound is moving) seems LIKE only 5.5 can fit!

#33304  by CS

As far as I know with Gov't Center, the blue line platform is already long enough - they just have to tear down the wall at the end of the station. If you go to the end of the wall and look through it (or around it) you can see the now abandoned "Scollay Under" platform.

#33313  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, that's right CS. I've circumvented that wall and got to see the faded "Scollay Under" sign, and also saw that 6 x 48 traincoaches can fit at GC, once they have demolished the colourful protable walls at each bulkhead end of that station.