Railroad Forums 

• Type 7 Overhaul Program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#416279  by thegreenliner

From the MBTA's capital budget available on their website...

Green Line No. 7 Car Midlife Overhaul
This project encompasses a number of component repair and replacement efforts for the Green Line No. 7 fleet. The scope includes replacing and adjusting the obstruction-sensing system on the car doors, modifying the wheel profile to improve rider quality and vehicle stability as well as minimize wear on the track, upgrading and repairing the coupler support rods and spherical bearings, reengineering and upgrading the brake actuators, and replacing vehicle roofs. This project is an expansion of the No 7 Fleet modification program.

#416495  by F-line to Dudley via Park

thegreenliner wrote:From the MBTA's capital budget available on their website...

Green Line No. 7 Car Midlife Overhaul
This project encompasses a number of component repair and replacement efforts for the Green Line No. 7 fleet. The scope includes replacing and adjusting the obstruction-sensing system on the car doors, modifying the wheel profile to improve rider quality and vehicle stability as well as minimize wear on the track, upgrading and repairing the coupler support rods and spherical bearings, reengineering and upgrading the brake actuators, and replacing vehicle roofs. This project is an expansion of the No 7 Fleet modification program.
I hope the door sensor upgrades don't make them as over-sensitive as on the Bredas. They can never get the doors closed at Park St. on-time because any time there's someone heading for the train remotely near on the platform they swing right back open. I was trying to catch a C yesterday, there wasn't even a Red Line train unloading, and it still took SEVEN tries to get the side doors closed because every single time there was one single person making a sprint to get on.

Good that they're doing the roofs...those things are dinged up pretty good now.

They doing anything to solve the "reboot" problem at stops. Not nearly as bad as on the Boeings but I can only assume it's going to get worse the older these cars get unless they do something to make the starts more reliable.

#418470  by -Garrett

Still no photos of the new paint scheme?
There must be someone out there that can grab a shot of it...?

#418476  by mattster

I've been keeping my eye open for it, but still no luck. If I have time to kill I'd go looking for it.

#418597  by jwhite07

I spent a few hours yesterday looking for it... maybe it's still at Riverside.

#419943  by Lord Mkaiba

Still no sightings/pictures of 3667? Does anyyone know if the design is like the experimental one formerly on 3601?

#419971  by type 7 3704

Are the 3700s getting repainted?NEtransit only says the 3600s are getting repainted.

#420044  by F-line to Dudley via Park

type 7 3704 wrote:Are the 3700s getting repainted?NEtransit only says the 3600s are getting repainted.
Not all of the 3700's have gone off for Type 8 trainlining/ASA modification, so probably not yet. They don't need the body work since they're only 10 years old, so it's likely they won't get the paint job until the 3600's are done.

#420087  by thegreenliner

Lord Mkaiba wrote:Still no sightings/pictures of 3667? Does anyyone know if the design is like the experimental one formerly on 3601?
I rode it about a week or so ago. No, it's not like that experimental scheme. It's painted very much like the LRV's. The entire lower half is green, including the doors. The green they chose is very nostalgic, as it ha a slightly olive tint to it. I liked the scheme quite a bit. Also, the flashing around the windshields has been painted black.

#420166  by mattster

thegreenliner wrote:
Lord Mkaiba wrote:Still no sightings/pictures of 3667? Does anyyone know if the design is like the experimental one formerly on 3601?
I rode it about a week or so ago. No, it's not like that experimental scheme. It's painted very much like the LRV's. The entire lower half is green, including the doors. The green they chose is very nostalgic, as it ha a slightly olive tint to it. I liked the scheme quite a bit. Also, the flashing around the windshields has been painted black.
What color is the top half?

#420351  by -Garrett

thegreenliner wrote:
EXCELLENT! That's the way they SHOULD have been painted from the start!

Okay, now I REALLY need to see a picture.. Don't make me come down there, airline tickets are expensive!

#420366  by thegreenliner

mattster wrote:
thegreenliner wrote:
What color is the top half?
The top half is white. Another thing that makes this scheme different from the original type 7 paint scheme is that the metal "skirt" on the bottom of the train is now painted green instead of black.

#420371  by danib62

Do we need to post a bounty on the pictures of 3667 for the paparazzi in order to get a picture of this car? :wink:
Last edited by danib62 on Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#420538  by CRail

I've been actively looking for it for a week now, I think its couped up in riverside. Any other TA would be promoting a new scheme, leave it to the T to keep it hiding.

#420937  by mattster

I got bored so I attempted to recreate what thegreenliner described. Then I got lazy so I only did a portion of the car.