Railroad Forums 

• Type 7 Overhaul Program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#415931  by orange1234

So does anyone know what kind of modifications will be done to the Type 7s? Will they receive AC traction motors?

#416017  by RailBus63

Any pics of the repainted car?

#416035  by number1tfan

orange1234 wrote:So does anyone know what kind of modifications will be done to the Type 7s? Will they receive AC traction motors?
Cool idea, I just love hearing the new cars whine.

#416038  by MBTA3247

orange1234 wrote:So does anyone know what kind of modifications will be done to the Type 7s? Will they receive AC traction motors?
Unlikely. That would require the installation of an inverter, which would almost certainly require other stuff be moved around to make room for it. The benefits of AC traction over DC are too marginal to justify the cost of replacing the entire propulsion system, especially with the amount of debt the T already has.

#416060  by type 7 3704

Plus the propulsion system is doing very good, so theres no need to replace them. Good ol' PCC technology.

Off-topic, but how much debt does the T have?

#416065  by Gerry6309

type 7 3704 wrote:Plus the propulsion system is doing very good, so theres no need to replace them. Good ol' PCC technology.

Type 7s do not use PCC technology. They are as modern as the LRVs were, the big difference is that troublesome components were re-engineered to make it more reliable. Foot pedal control does not mean PCC control.

The MBTA debt rivals that of the government... Only difference is that they aren't allowed to print money. :)

#416119  by Arborway

I'm putting my vote in for "Bell chains replaced by bell tape".
type 7 3704 wrote:Off-topic, but how much debt does the T have?
Around 8 billion.

#416123  by MBTA3247

Gerry6309 wrote:
type 7 3704 wrote:Plus the propulsion system is doing very good, so theres no need to replace them. Good ol' PCC technology.

Type 7s do not use PCC technology. They are as modern as the LRVs were, the big difference is that troublesome components were re-engineered to make it more reliable. Foot pedal control does not mean PCC control.
I thought a lot of the Type 7 components were derived from their PCC counterparts (hence the greater reliability), whereas everything on the Boeings was a brand new design.

#416138  by sery2831

I honestly think this rebuild wont have much to do with the propulsion system, since Breda just did this type of work on the cars. It's more than likely to be frame/body work. Maybe new floors, walls, lighting, and ASAs.

#416152  by redline43

New destination signs! :-D

I wish...

#416159  by Guilford Guy

Does that mean there may be kinki signs up for grabs... :-D

#416173  by -Garrett

Just to reel this thing back in, could somebody please try to catch a photo of the newly repainted Type 7 ?

I for one an curious to see if they are going with that previously seen Green and Yellow experimental design, if it is a return to something more similar to what the LRV's were wrapped in.

#416197  by RailFan2103

Guilford Guy wrote:Does that mean there may be kinki signs up for grabs... :-D
What did they do with the Kinki signs that were on the trains that already had their signs changed to LED?

#416208  by AznSumtinSumtin

RailFan2103 wrote:
Guilford Guy wrote:Does that mean there may be kinki signs up for grabs... :-D
What did they do with the Kinki signs that were on the trains that already had their signs changed to LED?
They're not Kinki signs. They're roll signs. The roll signs did not change to LED. They were replaced with LCD signs.

#416219  by sery2831

Lets stay off the signs topic, unless someone wants to go revive another thread...