Railroad Forums 

• D Line Shut Down(was:Riverside busing)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#428155  by danib62

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:
MBTA.com wrote:Beginning Saturday, July 28, 2007 at the beginning of service until 5:00pm and on Sunday, July 29, 2007 at the beginning of service until 5:00pm a diversion of service will take place on the Riverside (D) branch of the Green Line between Riverside and Fenway Stations. (NOTE: Diversion will extend to Kenmore on Sunday, July 29, 2007) During this diversion, substitute bus service will replace regular train service between Riverside and Fenway (Kenmore on Sunday). Please also utilize the Cleveland Circle (C) branch for service into Boston. Please allow an extra 10-15 minutes for your commute.
Isn't it nice to know that the MBTA does not attempt to inform its passengers of service delays?
They've had posters up for at least the last week and a half about this.

#428158  by AznSumtinSumtin

Those posters are not useful to people that don't ride the Green Line often.

#428428  by type 7 3704

Now that Phase 2 is approaching, they should start posting signs encouraging the use of the C line if they're heading downtown for a faster trip, along with increased service along the C line, and if possible, they should hand out free transfers to the C line to people at Resevoir Station. Not many average commuters know that Cleveland Circle is right next door to Resevoir Station, and it'll probably mean that bus service from Resevoir to Fenway/Kenmore can be reduced. This will probably result in less angry passengers, but then the regular C line riders will get angry that their trains are getting even more overcrowded, but its still a good tradeoff.

#428450  by sery2831

There are phase 2 signs all over a few Green Line stations I was in tonight. It shows how the C Line can be used as an alternative.

#428628  by chex

Yesterday I was needed to get out to the western suburbs and back. I ended up taking the Woostah commuter rail both ways, but I wanted to have the D-line as a backup just in case I missed the trains. I looked first on the website, for SPECIFIC information on this weekend; Nothing there. Then at North station and Park Street, I looked around for signs about what the status of Phase1 and Phase 2 would be. Nothing but the Phase2 paper signs that said Phase 2 would be starting 'Aug 4th'. Gee thanks. I ended up having to call the MBTA Customer service line, and sit on hold for 10 minutes, to find out the entire line Riverside <> Kenmore, was shutdown this weekend.

Why did that have to be so difficult to find out? Now that Phase2 is kicking in, you will be able to get from Kenmore to Riverside via C-line, but on weekends there still will be entire line shutdowns. I envison I will be needing to call Customer Service again for specific service info on a day that I am planning to travel west.

The website had nothing on the 'service notices' section. Nothing on Mattapan, as well. I know that its a long-term outage, but they still should post weekly detail statuses of service outages like this.

So frustrating.

-- Chex

#428634  by AznSumtinSumtin

On the MBTA.com homepage, you have to click "View All Service Updates" on the right side of the page.
Mattapan, there's no need to post weekly updates on the Mattapan line. It's going nowhere fast.
D Line, the weekend shutdowns are also posted there. They are very specific whenever the entire D line is shut down. On page 3 of this thread, I posted a direct quote from the MBTA's website. They even listed the times of the shutdown down to the hour.

You can't get to Riverside via the C-line. You can get to Reservoir via the C-Line, though.

Worcester is spelled w-o-r-c-e-s-t-e-r, not w-o-o-s-t-a-h.

#428639  by chex

Well, I just looked there now, and there is *NO* specific information about the weekend shutdowns there. Just links to PDF's files that are the general info about the Phases. Take a look at the page right now! There is nothing specific there.

OK, you have a point about Mattapan.

Yes you can get to Riverside via the C-line. You take the C-line to Cleveland Circle, get off and walk to Resivoir, and then take the D-line to Riverside. Therefore, you can get to Riverside *via* the C-line (route). ;)

And, no, its WOOSTAH. Just walk around downtown Woostah and listen to the people talk, and then you'll see what I mean. ;) ;)

-- Chex
AznSumtinSumtin wrote:On the MBTA.com homepage, you have to click "View All Service Updates" on the right side of the page.
Mattapan, there's no need to post weekly updates on the Mattapan line. It's going nowhere fast.
D Line, the weekend shutdowns are also posted there. They are very specific whenever the entire D line is shut down. On page 3 of this thread, I posted a direct quote from the MBTA's website. They even listed the times of the shutdown down to the hour.

You can't get to Riverside via the C-line. You can get to Reservoir via the C-Line, though.

Worcester is spelled w-o-r-c-e-s-t-e-r, not w-o-o-s-t-a-h.

#428641  by AznSumtinSumtin

The weekend shut downs are posted a week in advance.

"Spelled" and "pronounced" are 2 very different words. Just walk around downtown WORCESTER and watch how people spell.

#428646  by chex

Sorry, Im sticking to the fact that I couldn't find the info anywhere. I'm not interested in knowing a week in advance. I want to know about the current day that I am traveling (yesterday).

Well then, I guess I am SPELLING the PRONOUNCED then. So be it.

- Chex

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:The weekend shut downs are posted a week in advance.

"Spelled" and "pronounced" are 2 very different words. Just walk around downtown WORCESTER and watch how people spell.

#428674  by AznSumtinSumtin

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying that you don't want to know about shutdowns a week in advance? Well, the notices on the MBTA's website are posted a week in advance and remain up until after the shutdown is over. Since yesterday's shutdown is over, the information about it has been taken off of the MBTA's website.

Also, you were spelling the pronounciation, not the "pronounced". Sorry, I hold my spelling and grammar conventions to a high standard. I do have a Boston accent, by the way.

#428807  by Robert Paniagua

Now, I think this diversion, like many other MBTA renovation projects may last longer than scheduled for the D Line route.

#428815  by Arborway

Robert Paniagua wrote:Now, I think this diversion, like many other MBTA renovation projects may last longer than scheduled for the D Line route.
While the project was advertised as being a summer-long thing, but the T has already put up banners to indicate that it will take another 18 months to finish the D line surface station rehabs.

#429023  by type 7 3704

Why aren't the D trains signed up for Resevoir? Every time I see one, it's signed up for Riverside, even though I've seen them signed up for Resevoir plenty of times before. In fact, trains scheduled to be short-turned at Kenmore still said Riveride on the LCD signs! Sure, the ASA might pose a problem, but Red Line trains yesterday were signed up for Broadway, and even the ASA said"The destination of this train is Broadway." Why can't the D line do that?

#429041  by octr202

One thing I used to see in the past was that even if a line wasn't running, they would run cars in the subway to fill the slots taken by the cars normally running the full route. In most cases, they would be signed for which ever of the branches beyond Kenmore they were covering for, and were always signed up with the final destination. I always thought that the concern was that passengers, not seeing any D's (for this instance) would just sit and wait for a D to come, not finding it that unusual to see an absence of one line for a while. This may also have been a concern that originated during the days of lousy station PAs (not that that's really past us), and also the fact that until the Type 8's showed up, none of the trolleys had external speakers, thus no way for the operators to tell people looking for the out of service line to board any car.

I was actually surprised when I saw a Red Line train on Sunday marked Broadway. Everything I saw on Sunday was an 01800 consist -- I wonder if they were only using them on the Cambridge end for the additional sign options.

#429153  by sery2831

I have been thinking the same thing about cars being signed Reservoir. But I am sure it has to do with someone decided to keep the cars Riverside not to confuse people or tourists.

OFF TOPIC: The only time I have seen RAD(run as directed/ fill ins) cars signed something they are not are after the Red Sox games going inbound. They sign cars North Station, then turn them at Park St most of the time. Otherwise I think if you see a train turn before it's destination, it's a head way adjustment and not a RAD train.