Railroad Forums 

• D Line Shut Down(was:Riverside busing)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#415523  by AznSumtinSumtin

We are all going to get banned for talking about buses.

Neoplan was a bus manufacturing company. Alco is to locomotives as Neoplan is buses. The MBTA owns 193 Neoplan buses. The MBTA has multiple bus garages scatters around eastern Massachusetts. Each bus garage handles certains routes. The Cabot bus garage handles the D line shuttle. However, there are no Neoplan buses at the Cabot bus garage.

#415530  by Dispatcher35

Just for fun I called the T Customer Service today to see why we were bused all the way to Fenway on Saturday. Her first question was did you take the 500 bus? I told her no I took the bus signed Fenway that I was director to by the inspector. She asked if it went to Reservoir. I told her yes and all the other D line stops. She asked if I got off at Reservoir. I told her no that the bus operator said that there was no trolly service there. She tried to tell me the operator was wrong!

I even told her that on the outbound trip that just before we exited the tube there was an announcement saying that Fenway was the last stop and to transfer to buses at street level. I even told her I watched them cross the train and change ends just west of Fenway and head inbound.

Guess one department at the T does not know what the others are doing.

#415567  by Arborway

DLahey wrote:I use the D line Longwood Stop every day, and I remember reading that it was *not* going to get renovated as part of this project. Is this true? Because if any stop needs it bad, this is the one!
link
MBTA wrote:The other infrastructure systems of the D Line also require rehabilitation and will be accomplished in parallel with the tie and track rehabilitation program. This work will consist of traction power cable replacement, signal system cable replacement, reconstruction of the Longwood and Brookline Village stations and replacement of the Hyde Street Bridge in Newton.

#415590  by Robert Paniagua

A good D Line alternate option is to go to Needham Heights and take the Commuter trains, Im surprised that's never even mentioned here for the D Line alternates.

#415595  by ags

iirc needham trains do not run on weekends

#415599  by Robert Paniagua

Well, maybe they should, as a result of this D line suspension, and they should add a 5:15 AM train to compensate for the loss. I wonder what's wrong with MBTA officials for not adding commuter rail as an option.....geez.....

They got to enhance temporarily the needham Line of MBCR to get this going, and they'll have to add extra crews for that early train (5:15AM, which doesnt exist) and add weekend service for the length of the outer line (Reservoir-Riverside) reconstruction.

#415766  by Fred Rabin

Would it be possible, when the Brookline stations are closed in August, to run D trains from Newton down the Beacon Street C tracks?

#415770  by Arborway

Fred Rabin wrote:Would it be possible, when the Brookline stations are closed in August, to run D trains from Newton down the Beacon Street C tracks?
You would probably run into trouble with the headways.

#415772  by sery2831

Off peak that would be an interesting way to run the service, but they still have to run the shuttle buses so I don't see them doing it. Hopefully they will encourage people to use the C line to get to Reservoir opposed to riding to Kenmore, and then getting on a bus.

#415856  by MBTA3247

Fred Rabin wrote:Would it be possible, when the Brookline stations are closed in August, to run D trains from Newton down the Beacon Street C tracks?
It's possible, but requires a direction change at Reservoir. A more interesting option while the Reservoir to Riverside section is down would be to run circle service using the C and D lines.

#416034  by typesix

Running both C & D cars up and down Beacon was done when Riverside was rebuilt some 30+ some years ago but there was also loop at Reservoir to make it easier to do so.

#416040  by MBTA3247

typesix wrote:Running both C & D cars up and down Beacon was done when Riverside was rebuilt some 30+ some years ago but there was also loop at Reservoir to make it easier to do so.
I assume you're refering to the D line loop that once occupied the bus terminal. I'm refering to the double-track connection between the D and C lines at Reservoir, which could be used to let trains go out on Beacon Street and return to Boston via the D line (and vice-versa).

#416534  by typesix

At one phase of the Riverside rebuilding, a loop was built where the upper yard storage tracks are located. Cars coming into Reservoir would loop around and go down Beacon. Believe that cars running up Beacon would then use same loop and go on the Reservoir-Riverside stretch. Both C & D cars would be seen running on Beacon during this phase.

#416557  by Disney Guy

(1974 timeframe, temporary loop in Reservoir upper yard)

Inbound cars leave Reservoir Station, take the loop, then go up the outbound ramp to the bus loop also meant for "Reservoir" short turns, but instead turn right to go down to Beacon St. Back in 1958 when the Riverside line was planned, it was originally expected that every other train would turn back at Reservoir. Ridership quashed that idea.

Outbound Riverside cars coming up Beacon took the left up Chestnut Hill Ave. to the bus loop, to go down the bus loop ramp on the inbound side, then take the temporary loop, then to go into Reservoir Station and on to Riverside.

Some time later (1990 timeframe?) I do recall a short construction time period with inbound cars leaving the regular Reservoir Station, then changing ends where the temporary loop used to be. The bus loop tracks and ramps were gone. The cars would go out through the new side by side short turn Reservoir station and around to Beacon St. for the rest of the trip to the subway. Outbounds coming around from Beacon St. would come in that way and also change ends at the temporary loop location, then enter Reservoir Station outbound.

One thing they did not do (too demanding mentally?) to speed up D service would be to dispatch a C train inbound only after a D train passed, and also D trains would reserve the right not to discharge passengers outbound or pick up passengers inbound depending on traffic light indications.

#416587  by redline43

MBTA3247 wrote:A more interesting option while the Reservoir to Riverside section is down would be to run circle service using the C and D lines.
With all due respect, what is the advantage of this setup?