Railroad Forums 

• Becoming a conductor for MBCR

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#29684  by CRail

What steps can be taken to better insure the chances of getting a job on the commuter rail? What is required (other than high school) to work as a conductor? And finally, where do you submit your resume?

#29694  by CSX Conductor

prior customer service and money handling is usually preferred. as with any railroad, a candidate must pass a physical, a drug screen, and background check.

resumes can be faxed to MBCR (I think it's 617-222-1007, not sure) or via MBCR.net.

http://www.mbcr.net and click on "Jobs" for the latest job postings as well as information on where/how to submit resumes.

#29708  by SnoozerZ49

Good Points CSX:

Also as a side note. Assistant Conductors are usually hired in groups of 12. Currently there are 2 classes of twelve each "in the pipe line". Like CSX says, keep an eye on the MBCR web site. They are very good about posting jobs in a timely manner.

No prior railroad experience is required. Most MBCR Assistant Conductors can barely tell the difference between a marker and a headlight anyways. :wink:

#29709  by CRail

Well i work at Shaw's now as a cashier. Do you think that would help? How about being CPR Certified and the president of the Fire Explorers in Ashland MA (for the safety aspect). Do you think that would improve my chances of getting on? Ill start as senior in hs next year so i have some time but i still want to be ready.

#29713  by CRail

To confirm the fax number; all is right except its 8007 instead of 1007

#31513  by SnoozerZ49

Well, all I could suggest is to keep up on you studies. It always is good to show you have the discipline to see a job through. Handling cash at Shaw's is a great way to show you are responsible. I handle up to $900 a day in on board ticket sales and keeping track of all the cash is a very important task. Knowing CPR is a good sign of your maturity.

I would suggest that when you are ready, have a good dependable car ready, make sure your living situation is cheap ( stay with your folks if you can) and be ready to give up a lot of your free time.

You don't want to talk about being a railfan and someone your age is going to have to go a long way to understanding that you are a responsible person. THe company is probably concerned with you men being very irresponsible when it comes to showing up for work on time. You have to make sure everyone knows you are ready for the commitment.

Good Luck and feel free to drop me a message if I can help.
Joe

#31669  by CRail

thanks a lot snoozer. I will ask any question i have on this post. i will also post more when the time comes to go and get a job.