Railroad Forums 

• the brattle street loop being actively used?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#28767  by trigonalmayhem

(that's what that 'extra' track in gov't center is called, right?)

They were running trains on it all this evening,and they had a little board out on that side of the platform instructing people which direction to certain trains when they got off it. There were actually lechemere bound trains on BOTH sides of the platform at the same time around 6pm, and when I came back through a little after 10, they ran a D train through it and back towards haymarket (so we had to transfer yet again at gov't center).

This seems a little odd to me, as I've never ever had a train end at gov't center coming from the NORTH. Is their use of it now possibly to gear up for the north station switchover or is there some other reason they're doing it? I couldn't really figure out what was going on tonight with it (nor could the mob of people trying to get north of haymarket at 6 ... at 10 it was a little more subdued, but people still had no idea why they were getting kicked off at gov't center on a D train).

#28777  by vanshnookenraggen

Ya, I cought one too. I thought it was kinda cool, except that it was rush hour and most people didnt know what was going on.

One thing I noticed was that the rails on the loop sounded like they were older because when we started moving it sounded and felt like they were ... not really giving way but not as strong as those on the other parts of the line.

I wanted to ride the loop but I didnt have time. Maybe tomorrow....wait, it is tomorrow! (Oh man, Ive been looking at ads too much on the T!!)

#28782  by efin98

This is thirdhand information, but the source is in the know on this: supposedly the loop is used every morning for movements, but only for the first few runs of the day(ends about 6 or 6:30 at the extreme latest) Since Lechmere doesn't have too much space for storage and the first few runs of the B and C run all the way to Lechmere so it takes a bit of time for the T to get the headways spaced the way the T wants some some of the trains have to short turn on Brattle. Same thing happens when a string of Bs and Cs come in a row, Lechemere service gets a lull and one or two of the westbound Ds or Es have to end early.

#29026  by vanshnookenraggen

This bring up another question, will the loop be used more if/when an extention to West Medford is built? I know the report isnt out yet but I would think that the T would want to upgrade it a bit.

#29145  by caduceus

I got to ride the Brattle loop today at noon. I got on at North, noticing that the rollsign said Government Center, but so faded that it was practically blank, and my brain didn't quite make the connection, not that it mattered - I'll take the delay for the rare ride through the loop.

As you go in, there is what looks like a little "side" station on the left, then you make the sharp turn to where they actually let you off.

I thought I might finally get to ride a Type 8 from GC, but it took off as we got off.

Didn't see anything indicating a shutdown would happen soon.

#29180  by efin98

I was told it was used reguarly for short turns to fill the gaps between Government Center and Lechmere, used every morning for the first few runs to make up for gaps due to trains coming in from Riverside and Resevoir yards.

#29187  by trigonalmayhem

Hm, it just seemed extra strange to me because they were doing it all evening and even had the sign out with hastily scrawled directions to the westbound train platform.

#29194  by Robert Paniagua

Not to mention, I also got to ride on that Brattle Loop once from Haymarket to GC, and switched to a C train to Park Street to get the Red Line early last year. Was a bit fun too, that was my very first time on that loop.

#29246  by caduceus

And it looks like it will be the last time in a while....maybe I got the last one? :)

#29248  by Ron Newman

Isn't Brattle Loop sometimes used to quickly short-turn trains when there's a big event at the FleetCenter?

#29251  by Robert Paniagua

Yes, it is used for that sometimes also, Ron. However, that won't be the case come convention week, since the Green Line north of Haymarket won't be running for the DNC.

#29252  by caduceus

With trains only going as far as North for the next year or so, and no appreciable storage, I would think the loop would only be used for storage/emergency use.

I wonder how much of a scheduling nightmare the green line will be without any storage at the north end. Unless there is an area I'm not aware of.

#29253  by Ron Newman

There is storage under the FleetCenter.