Railroad Forums 

• ANOTHER postponement for the North Station cut-over?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#30863  by jack615

Thanks Ron, Its months away? I thought they already built a part of the connection to it as a part of the original constuction of the Superstation. And as for that big lot that used to be the Central Artery I saw that sight also on Wednesday and its truly amazing you can look right over to the North End for the first time in a long time with the removal of the Artery. But its absolutely amazing how much change has occured in that area in the recent months and months to come.

Jack

#30866  by Ron Newman

The pedestrian tunnel may be finished but the headhouse, stairway, escalator, etc. certainly are not.

The pedestrian tunnel is at the level of the entrance lobby, which is much less deep than either of the Green Line rail tunnels.

At some point soon, all Big Dig and MBTA construction around the FleetCenter has to stop because of the DNC. I"m not sure exactly when the drop-dead date is.

#30873  by tabslate

now that the green line is shut down, are they going to try and fix up science park station, because it sure needs some work, an elevator, a paint job, etc. or are they just going to leave it the way it is? or wait til the green line opens and have more busstituitng to do construcation?

#30972  by efin98

Nice to see old streets back on the map again, especially ones with such a connection to trains as Haverhill Street and Beverly Street.

I had no idea there was going to be a headhouse at the Fleet Center, I thought the pedestrian tunnel was going to be what was used instead of the headhouse? Makes sense though, since not everybody will be coming from North Station and gives locals access to the station without having to cross Causway Street.

#31061  by Ron Newman

The pedestrian tunnel does not go all the way to the FleetCenter. It comes out at a headhouse (still under construction) near the FleetCenter east entrance. You will still have to walk outside a bit to get from this headhouse to the FleetCenter.

In the long term, this headhouse will be absorbed into whatever development is built in front of the FleetCenter.

#31103  by Ron Newman

When I walked by the old El this morning, some of the overhead wiring had already been taken down.

#31106  by BC Eagle

When I went by there yesterday I saw several construction workers up on the El near Canal St. It definitely seemed they were working on something, but I couldn't tell what. I say "working" because I often see T workers in orange vests simply milling around, seemingly not doing much of anything.

#32288  by Ron Newman

I saw workers with orange vests and hard hats up there again today around noon. They were walking on the Causeway and Lowell Street part of the el.

DNC

#32579  by jiffydos

I doubt you will see any real demolishin begin until after the DNC. The last thing they need is a mess like that getting in the way.

#32599  by Ron Newman

I saw some kind of construction vehicle rolling alnog the trackbed on the Causeway St. El this morning. Another worker in the area told me that they were removing track.

#35999  by Ron Newman

According to today's MBTA Transit Update page, the substitute bus between Lechmere and Government Center will not run from Friday 7/23 at 8 pm through the end of service on Thursday 7/29. Instead, there will be shuttle buses between Lechmere and Kendall.

I didn't have time to hang around very long, but it looked this evening like they had demolished the old inbound exit stairway that led from the Green Line el to the south side of Causeway Street. I'll take another look tomorrow, and probably start a new thread on the subject of Green Line El Demolition.