Railroad Forums 

• ANOTHER postponement for the North Station cut-over?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#29827  by CS

Your link is broken. Fix it or it will be removed.

#29829  by fm535

Brutal...but exact! (I was going to post a comment, but glad the "man" did it! :D)

#29832  by Ron Newman

It's a QuickTime movie. I just now tried downloading it again, and the download worked. (I stopped it about 5% of the way through, because it really is huge.)

When I tried it, it redirected to http://s93028067.onlinehome.us/zoton/ge ... ttrain.mov .

#29841  by NealG

Ron Newman wrote:Since Lechmere is a surface station I don't see what ADA upgrading would be needed. Science Park is another story, of course.
Mainly platform (the platforms have not been raised for the Type 8s) and side clearence issues (ADA requires certain minimum clearences between any walls and vehicles etc). Lechmere is very poorly designed for efficient passenger movement. I know that the plan is to do away with the current station and extend the Green Line to West Medford, eventually, but something should be done in the meantime.

#29872  by efin98

Lechmere will probably get raised platforms on parr with the rest of the Green Line, they are cheap(only the cost of asphault) so no reason not to make it complient. Until every train operates with a Type 8 into there there will be a lift like you see at all the other ADA complient stations for the intermediate time. It doesn't take much to make a station complient, the cars do all the work!
 #30023  by MBTAFan

Ron Newman wrote:When I took the last inbound train Friday evening, the person next to me, Sean Sullivan, shot this 12-minute movie from the back of the last car.

(Warning: this file is over 50 megabytes long! For that reason, I have not watched it myself and can't say anything about its contents.)
This is actually a pretty cool movie if you were like me and didn't get the opportunity to ride the El one last time. Thank you very much for sharing it. I was just so busy that I didn't get the chance to go. Lucky I have broadband and it only took me about 3 minutes to download that whole movie. For those with broadband I highly recommend it.

If you're on dialup that will take you about 3 hours to download, beware.

#30026  by CS

Yes, thanks for the video and thanks for fixing the link.

#30101  by Ron Newman

Actually, I didn't touch the link. Maybe it somehow got broken and fixed at the server end.

#30104  by Ron Newman

This morning, the stairway and elevator entrances to North Station Upper had signs on them reading

CLOSED
(FOREVER)

Below that were instructions on how to reach the Green Line subway station and the shuttle buses.

#30413  by Ron Newman

At 10:25 this morning, workers in orange vests were walking the tracks of the former Green Line incline. I don't know if they were T workers or Big Diggers, or what they were doing there.

#30555  by efin98

Ron, are you sure they were workers at all? could also have been feds looking for possible points where nasty little presents might be placed(not at all unthinkable, considering the two structures nearby).

#30568  by Ron Newman

Good question. I wasn't close enough to get a good look at them. They seemed to be dressed like typical construction workers.

The upper level of that incline, which used to be the I-93 southbound off-ramp, is totally unguarded. There's not even a gate across the bottom of it, just a low jersey barrier about 1/3 of the way up. I've walked and bicycled up there numerous times to take in the great view.

#30575  by efin98

Anybody up on the structure would have to wear those vests and hard hats as it is a consturction area and they would need to be visible in case of an emergency(just guessing here but it sounds about right). Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if there were law enforcement officers walking the route at times to check for changes that would signal trouble. Even if the el is closed it is still a risk.

#30842  by jack615

Ed I saw them too on Wednesday morning and they definately appeared to be construction workers to me. But cant say that I was a hundred percent. By the way I still had to cross the street to get to the new green line platform at North Station. Anyone know if the headhouse there is open yet or whats the delay for this.

Jack

#30846  by Ron Newman

That new North Station headhouse, north of Causeway Street next to the FleetCenter east entrance, is still very much under construction. If you walk by at the right time of day you can see and hear the construction going on there. I don't expect to see it open for several months.

By the way, anyone notice the huge flat empty dirt lot where I-93 used to be, south of Causeway? That was full of rubble as late as last week. It will become a temporary bus parking lot and protest zone for the DNC. Later, Beverly Street, Haverhill Street, and Valenti Way will be rebuilt through it, and the lots sold off for new development.

As of last night, I still don't see any demolition work going on anywhere on the old El.