Railroad Forums 

• MBTA posts important signage regarding Lechmere shuttle

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#28082  by ST214

?????????????????????????????

#28090  by jwhite07

And the sad part is, it's probably one of the most informative signs on the MBTA! :wink:

Heard often in Toronto: "Dis cah go Doonda?" (translated as "Does this streetcar serve Dundas Street?")

#28112  by efin98

looks like someone was mad at the delay in the shuttles :D

#28119  by octr202

Is that the new warning sign for trolleys trying to run people down?

That seems like the kind of thing that should be reported under Transit Watch, but showing the T the photograph would run you afowl of the phot ban. Oh well, I guess we can't do anything! :wink:

#28173  by Ron Newman

Based on what's covered over, I'm guessing that sign is in Haymarket Station, near the inbound Green Line platform.

Am I right?

#28185  by trigonalmayhem

Yup, that's the Haymarket inbound platform.

My guess is that they mounted the sign before they knew the change was being pushed back a week, so they put the butcher paper over it and some ... creative individual decided to illustrate it.

#29191  by Ron Newman

Tonight around 7:30 pm in North Station Under, T personnel were very busy putting up new signs.

#30171  by Pete

Overall they did a good job with the signs. They're clear and informative, good graphic standards. This isn't a given, with the wide array of sloppy signage hastily thrown together on the system. I suspect that there are individuals empowered to just go ahead and throw up a sign here or there when deemed necessary, but coordinated efforts like this must come out of the central communications dept. It's too bad more signs don't (or at least that they don't teach the signmakers wherever a thing or two about graphic standards). The T can produce some very well put-together visual information when it puts its mind to it.

#30230  by Otto Vondrak

I'm a graphic designer (for what it's worth) and I think that "edited" sign is damn funny.

MBTA has a great set of graphic standards that were developed in the 1960's... they are great when they actually adhere to them! So much temporary signage in the system! Hurts my eyes and confuses my brain!

-otto-

#30250  by trigonalmayhem

I actually kind of like the stickers they put up on the maps to inform of the shuttle service.

They work well with the rest of the map and I feel that they're pretty clear and informative.

I wish I could say the same about night owl signage for certain lines (often there's little indication at a closed station of where to board the night owl, and not every station has MBTA employees directing people to the proper bus).
But I guess it's already been established around here that the MBTA hates the night owl service anyway, so it figures.

#30453  by Pete

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm a graphic designer (for what it's worth) and I think that "edited" sign is damn funny.

MBTA has a great set of graphic standards that were developed in the 1960's... they are great when they actually adhere to them! So much temporary signage in the system! Hurts my eyes and confuses my brain!
I was thoroughly impressed with the MBTA's kit of graphics when I first saw the system. It's a clean, bold, direct set. But it's sooooo sloppily applied! The whole thing is so slapdash! Like many aspects of NY's system then (1989) and now, the T seemed so far ahead in it's graphics then, and NY hasleapfrogged it in the 15 years since. NY is *consistent* in its presentation of information, an easy concept to grasp to everyone but whatever weak links in the T who figure they've been around long enough and don't need to be bothered with any silly rules of design.

Sorry, I'm really picky about user-friendliness as a key component of effective marketing of the system.

#30896  by CS

The MBTA has a very great system as far as signs go. Temporary signs.... are horrible. The MBTA would save passengers a lot of confusion if they would apply what they did at North Station with other projects such as the Red Line Rehabilitation.

#30973  by efin98

You would be surprised at how many "temporary" signs remain permanent. Some places it gives a glimmer of hope that projects and services will get upgrades and allow things to return to "normal"(if there is such a thing on the T). Oh well, at least some of the signs give you chuckles when you read them :wink:

#30977  by CJ

efin98 wrote:You would be surprised at how many "temporary" signs remain permanent.
Heh, reminds me of the token machines!