Railroad Forums 

• Quick question about Lechmere

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#27651  by Zaphod

If you ride to Lechmere but want to head back after getting there, do you have to pay another fare, or can you stay inside a fare zone and just hop back on another train?

Sunday I will be riding from Riverside and want to ride all the way to Lechmere and then turn around and ride to Museum of Science.

#27653  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, you actually will have to pay another fare, I'm afraid......

So you might want to buy a "boatload" of tokens before you set out there.

Same goes for Wonderland for the Blue Line and Ashmont only on the Red Line.

#27659  by ckb

But ... if you go at night when the turnstyle is closed (well, locked open, actually) and you're supposed to pay as you board, the operators hardly ever enforce fare payment on boarding. They usually wait until the very last second to bring the next train around and open all the doors so they can leave "on time". Or, they bring the train forward and then go back to hanging out in the yard, leaving the front door open but unattended for anyone to walk on. Then the operators get in for their runs and go.

Of course, if you're doing a fan ride and have a camera (shhhh) or such, then this doesn't apply because you'll probably be going during the day.

#27664  by CSX Conductor

but isn't tonight (Friday 6-18) the last night for el to Lechmere?

#27665  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

no it was extended until the 25, next week, the T needs to conduct more saftey test at the new superstation

#27728  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

so for the Lechmere, are we able to stay on the subway, or does it terminate there and i would have to get on another?

#27735  by Ron Newman

If you ride outbound to Lechmere, you have to get off, walk around to the other side, and pay another fare to ride inbound again.

Lechmere is not a "subway" station so I'm not sure I really understood your question.

#27737  by caduceus

One time I went to the Galleria or PCs for Everyone, I came back and the collector's booth was empty, turnstyles unlocked, and the trolley unattended. Everyone walked on without paying. I had a pass so it didn't matter to me, but...and this was during the _day_, on a weekday.

I haven't studied it closely, but was Lechmere a two-level station originally? Perhaps two trolley loops? The building looks like it had two levels at one time.

#27740  by BC Eagle

It's been several years since I've seen the collector's booth at Lechmere manned. I went out to the galleria on my lunch hour the other day and on my return trip it was empty and turnstyles were unlocked. This was at 12:30 in the afternoon on a weekday. Maybe the booth is only in use during the rush hour?

#27755  by octr202

I was there on Thursday afternoon, and the booth and turnstyles were in use. However, this was probably the first time I've ever seen them use it in the evening. There's even a sign up that says "Booth hours 6:30-9:30AM" (give or take 30 minutes).

#27764  by CSX Conductor

Supposed to pay on-board at Lechmere and Science Park.

#27801  by jack615

I was there at about 830am friday riding what I thought was my last ride on the EL and when I got off at lechmere and crossed over to other side there was an attendant and went through the turnstiles, so that 630-930 am schedule is probably correct.

Jack

#27960  by RailBus63

caduceus wrote:I haven't studied it closely, but was Lechmere a two-level station originally? Perhaps two trolley loops? The building looks like it had two levels at one time.
No, Lechmere station has always been single level. In fact, based on old photos I've seen it is remarkably unchanged since the days when trackless trolleys ran on the 69, 80, 87 and 88 and center-entrance cars ran to 'Lake Street via Commonwealth Ave' and 'Reservoir via Beacon St'.

JD