Railroad Forums 

• Work Train

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#22066  by CRail

I was just wondering if the caboose on the work train is used as a cab car.

#22079  by octr202

Yes and no. I've seen it leading several times on the Fitchburg. However, I doubt that it has controls...I would guess its just like a "shoving platform" that some of the class 1's use -- lights, horn, emergency brake valve, but not a control stand.
Last edited by octr202 on Thu May 27, 2004 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

#22107  by jwhite07

It can't be used as a control car because the MBTA's MW car fleet does not have pass-through MU cables. So it is just a "shoving platform", although a rather nice one... the regular work train crew takes very good care of it!

#22118  by octr202

I thought of that after I posted -- of course it couldn't be a control car without wiring the work cars with MU Cables, which wouldn't be very practical. I can say that they don't have any qualms though about pushing with it in the lead at decent speeds (at least 40 MPH I would estimate).

#22131  by CSX Conductor

octr, I doubt they shove it at 40 MPH.....if they do, they are in trouble.....NORAC rules restrict shoving movements to 30MPH max.

#22359  by octr202

Well, it was hardly a scientific measurement. It was at Hastings in Weston, I was in my car at the grade crossign when they came through shoving eastbound with either the 902 or 904 on the west end. This was also a couple years ago...but they were moving pretty good...