Railroad Forums 

• Airport Station Opening

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#21911  by CSX Conductor

Not hanging around all day is definately a good idea, seeing as loitering around an airport and railfanning are presently two of the major "security risks". LOL

Seriously, haven't heard anything.

#22283  by parovozis

Which Thursday?

#23263  by MBTA1

Did anyone here take one of the flyers?

They seem so rushed, and a little bit like they were wrote for people with half a brain...
"The MBTA is pleased to announce that on Thursday, June 3rd at 10:30 a.m. the new Airport Station will open for service.

At that time, the existing station will close" ... DUH!

Also "10:30" is the current airport station going to be open until 10:29 and then they will switch or will the Blue Line be bused until 10:30 or will trains just bypass Airport untill 10:30

#23282  by efin98

MBTA1 wrote:Did anyone here take one of the flyers?

They seem so rushed, and a little bit like they were wrote for people with half a brain...
"The MBTA is pleased to announce that on Thursday, June 3rd at 10:30 a.m. the new Airport Station will open for service.

At that time, the existing station will close" ... DUH!

Also "10:30" is the current airport station going to be open until 10:29 and then they will switch or will the Blue Line be bused until 10:30 or will trains just bypass Airport untill 10:30
Probably stop at the old station for the morning rush then close the station down, move the collector from the old station to the new station via shuttle bus, then have a grand opening at the new station when the bus arrives at the new station. It can be worked into the schedule by delaying trains at Maverick, State, Government Center, in the loop south of the station and at Wood Island, Orient Heights, and Wonderland north of the station. I think a similar hold up was down when Aquarium opened, I remember being held up for a bit at State just before the opening.

#23287  by apodino

Where is this flyer, since I can't find any information about it on the Ts site

#23293  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

wait a sec, there is a new airport station?!!!!! How long have they been working on it?

wow, it has been that long since i have ridden the blue line :(

#23324  by mersk862

I drove by it tonight after I flew in from Dallas...it looked really nice all lit up in the night, and looked a heck of a lot better than the current station and its dated look...I didn't know that the station would be opening tomorrow...it sure looks ready to go.

Jeff

#23411  by Arlington

There's still no press release on the MBTA site, but it seems to me that they'd be better off just having a dedication ceremony at 10:30 but actually opening the station at the start of the day's service.

Or is it that they don't trust their service enought to risk folk's trips to work on an "unproven" new station?

#23421  by The Collector at Court St

Look, it's simple. At or around 1030a, the train will start stopping at the new station instead of the old. If you're going to the ceremony, you'll likely get off at the old station and walk the 500' to the new one. There's a couple of ways that Revenue can handle moving the collector, but most likely it'll be free until the collector is set up. Or maybe one of the politicians' aides will stand next to the booth with his hand out!!

Paul Revere will make a radio announcement for the Massport buses. Ms Bono will make a radio announcement for the Blue Line. A couple of inspectors will be on the old platform to remind trains not to stop there and redirect anyone walking in from the local neighborhood.

I doubt if I'll make it there, so if anyone is able to get some pics and is able to post them, that would be great! I doubt if anyone will bother you about a permit as long as you point your camera toward the politicians!

#23478  by Ron Newman

How easy is it to walk from the old station to the new one? What's the best way to do so?

#23485  by The Collector at Court St

Very easy. There should be people directing you tommorrow. But, if not, from the outbound platform, go to the rear of the train, out the iron maiden, left 180 degrees, under the station and busway down the driveway. It's just a little beyond the old station and the substation.

#23497  by MBTA1

The flyers are posted all along the Blue Line. :wink:

#23595  by The Collector at Court St

Haven't heard about freebies.

A better set of directions: Go to front of train and out the "maiden" there..... your heading right towards the new station.