• May 25 #217 Trip Report (with Video!)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ggardei

Went to a job fair in Boston yesterday with my twin brother Doug. I was planning on taking the 214 into Boston from Haverhill and the 217 back, but Doug wanted to take the Downeaster (he never rode the Downeaster before) so we took the Downeaster down to Boston and the 217 back.

Because of the the tie replacement project on the Reading/Haverhill line, train 217 was rerouted via the lowell line and wildcat branch. I noticed a lot of maintenance of way people working along the tracks, doing some clean up from the other night's thunderstorms (on the way down on the downeaster, we had to stop several times to manually protect some crossings)

The train arrived in Haverhill about five minutes late.

I happen to have my Canon Powershot A310 digital still camera with me and I took some videos with it. I put the individual clips together and uploaded them to my web server for you all to enjoy. Just select your connection type.

Windows Media 9 format (sorry)
Broadband (Best)

http://www.georgewgardei.com/videos/mbt ... adband.wmv

Dialup (Kruddy)

http://www.georgewgardei.com/videos/mbta_217_56k.wmv

by ST214

Don't complain about the dirty windows. Some of them, you're lucky if you can see out!!!

by CSX Conductor

George, I agree with St about the windows... LOL

Thanks for sharing that with us. Your video answered a question I hadn't been able to answer myself yet......(where the new Duck Tour ramp was for the Charles). I noticed that the old ramp by the Lechemere Green Line viaduct was no longer used......but tonight I found out the new location.

By the way, the bridge you said is I-93, was not I-93....it's "The Loop Connector" which is the ramps connecting the Tobin Bridge with I-93 and Storrow Drive :wink:

Again, thanks for sharing the video clip.

by ggardei

shows how well I know Boston... not much. Everytime I have to go someplace in Boston, I use the trip planner on MBTA's website

by CSX Conductor

Again, I was only kidding....pretty good video for a small digital camera.