Railroad Forums 

• MBTA in other media (ex-MBTA in the movies)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#293177  by nev12

There is a brief scene in Fever Pitch with two Red Line trains crossing over the Longfellow Bridge.

#293188  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah I saw that scene, it's in the opening part of the movie. And maybe the 1990 movie, Once Around as well as Gone Baby Gone.

#293238  by NealG

In Mrs. Winterbourne, Ricki Lake's character waits for an MBTA train (which eventually arrives in the scene) somewhere in Beverly (Pride's Crossing maybe?).

#293396  by JTDieffen

There's an F10 and a string of demotored Buds in Born on the Fourth of July. It's about half-way through. I'm not sure which # it was, but it was one of the ones painted in the maron with a silver band.

#293423  by b&m 1566

Wasn't there a shot in the movie Celtic Pride starring Dan Akroyd and Daniel Stern??? I believe there was an MBTA shot that took place in TNT's series Judging Amy too.

#293449  by CSRR573

The next karate kid has a guy working for the T and he sits and then walks along the roofs of some red line cars in cabot yard.

#294745  by RailBus63

'Starting Over' had a scene with Jill Clayburgh's character exiting a 7100-series Flxible bus.

'The Brinks Job' had a scene at Dudley with a train of 01100's painted olive-drab green to resemble older el cars.

The police station in 'Fuzz' was at City Square in Charlestown - if I remember correctly, there was at least one scene with an Orange Line train shown and older GM buses on the street below (the 111 Woodlawn route used to terminate at this station).

'The Friends of Eddie Coyle' had a scene filmed at then-new North Quincy station with a train of 01500/01600 'Silverbirds, as well as a scene in the parking lot at Sharon station where Amtrak's original Turbotrain whooses by.
ckb wrote:
Yellowspoon wrote:
scoopernicus_in_Maine wrote:Field of Dreams had a couple of shots of the Green Line along Huntington Avenue.
When Ray (Kostner) went to Terrence's (Jones) apartment, there was a shot of a trackless trolley in the background. The spark looked a bit contrived so I think that scene was faked and not filmed in Massachusetts. Anyone know for sure?
You are correct. That scene was staged in Galena Illinois (with a trackless trolley brought in just for the scene)
The 'trackless trolley' in that movie is actually a GM fishbowl bus with fake poles on the roof. I think it was orange, but the bus did have a 'T' logo on it.

Jim

#295062  by sjd0356

In the movie "Love story", it was filmed around Harvard and Boston in the 70s there are a few shots of Fishbowl buses around Harvard.

#297370  by mattster

Coma has a brief shot of the elevated just before the main character enters the hospital during the opening credits. There is also a scene where she is chased by a man into the subway and emerges at Park Street to hop on a trolley.

Now, Voyager has a scene at Back Bay, but I don't know if it's a set or the real thing as I have no idea what it looked like in 1942!

#297780  by StevieC48

Didnt relize that Coma had scenes shot in Boston. Good call Matt

#298168  by mattster

StevieC48 wrote:Didnt relize that Coma had scenes shot in Boston. Good call Matt
As one of my favorite films I can say that it has quite a lot of footage of Boston! You should give the book a read. Rather than a quick encounter at Park Street the main character spends a rather long time at Kendall and is almost killed by a train!

#298193  by MTD

Whats surprising about the subway shots from Coma is the train that Geneviève Bujold is on happens to be an LRV. It must have been brand-new back then... Is 1977 about the right time period the LRVs started showing up on the Green Line? (Since that was the year Coma was being filmed.) Because growing up back then I only recall the LRVs really making their presence in 1979-1980.

#298847  by RailBus63

The first LRV's entered service in December 1976, and as soon as enough cars were in service they assumed most runs on the Riverside line.

Jim

#301038  by modorney

Don't forget "The Cardinal"