Railroad Forums 

• Track Work On Haverhill/Reading Line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#19194  by Ed Canney

The MBTA is conducting tie replacement work on the Haverhill/Reading Line, starting in Melrose. Ties have been laid out between Melrose (near Oak Grove) up to Reading). All track equipment is being stored at Wakefield Junction. They usually begin around 7:30 to 8am and finish about 3:30pm with a parade of equipment going back to the Junction. This makes for one interesting sight. I am not sure what the T is doing about commuter rail service during this period.
 #19279  by GP40MC1118

The Tie job will be working for another five weeks between Reading and
Fells Interlocking. The MBTA is bussing between Ballardvale and Oak Grove during the outage.

D

#19708  by ggardei

I am planning to take the 214 from Haverhill to Boston on the 25th. How is this tie replacement project going to effect my trip?

I am planning to return to Haverhill on the 217.

#19972  by helium

The bussing isn't all the time, both rush hours will still use the trains...according to the T.
 #20151  by JulieADriver

Is the jointed rail going to be replaced with welded rail? The last board meeting mentioned purchase of welded rail.

#20206  by apodino

according to the T off peak trains will be diverted over the Wildcat Branch, with bustitution in effect on all stations between Oak Grove and I believe North Wilmington.