Railroad Forums 

• Odd sighting on the Fitchburg line, Dave, maybe you know???

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#18007  by ST214

I saw today some coaches going east about 35 min after the 1:05 was due to pass thru. Then, the loco went by(1027). But behind her, were 8 or 10 gondola's with a Difco side dump bringing up the rear. I got out in front of them, and either 902 or 904 was coupled up to the coachcab, pulling the whole consist east. When did this train become disabled???

Also, which loco died on 204 this morning???
 #18009  by GP40MC1118

ST214:

That was the Northside Work Train retrieving the the 1027 from
Fitchburg yard. The 1027 was supposed to go on No. 410. The
1137 also messed up at Fitchburg this morning.

As for 204, the 1115 was the culprit...

D

#18016  by caduceus

Seems like it wasn't a good day in general for Fitchburg.

The 406 was on time, but the 404 was apparently late (1137?) but had passed before I got there. We usually meet 453 outbound at Porter, but we didn't - it seems that it was late - we passed it inside of BET (1007 in lead I believe). Got to North Station, and apparently the Lowell outbound was delayed as well.

Even the express outbound didn't even have a train at North until 5 minutes before departure - but there were two trains sitting waiting of sufficient length. And of course no AC.
 #18045  by GP40MC1118

Well the 1137 should've made 404, but didn't. #3901 with the 1007
was "stolen" for 404. An extra came out of Boston and went directly
to Ayer and turned back to Boston as 410. 412 was cancelled.

Meanwhile, the 1027 bought the bullet for No. 410, while the 1137
finally got going for a late 410. 406 & 408 were okay.

Try again tomorrow...

D

#18979  by Xplorer2000

:wink: Pssst...just an idea off the from top of my head,not really being a mechanical expert,mind you, but.....
SCRAP THE @$%! GP-40MCs!!!!!!
Those things have been more trouble than they are worth....and no matter how many times you think you've finally gotten one fixed , at leas two more crap out on you. Trade 'em in on MP-36's.

#19009  by caduceus

With the board's recent problem, I never got to post my followup. With Wednesday morning's delays, Thursday's dead engines, and the propane tank leak on Friday, it wasn't a good week for the Fitchburg line.

I was "lucky" enough to go home late, after the leak was taken care of. Train was only nominally late leaving. Around Concord, I noticed on the flashboards that there was an extra inbound train. I though to myself, "I hope we get to Acton before the inbound gets to Ayer" - nope. We waited outside the interlocking before Acton for a while until the inbound cleared...

Sigh...
 #19029  by GP40MC1118

Darn that single track!

It wasn't the smartest thing to reduce S.Acton station to single
track. This situation has been the bane of Fitchburg Route ever
since.

Another operational quirk is the interlocking at Slab City - no
crossovers! In effect, you have two single track mainlines
between Ayer and Fitchburg. What's more amazing is that the
B&M rebuilt this with 4R money and you'd think they'd put
crossovers in with federal money.

And then there's Ayer....the west end is all handthrow switches!

Dave