Railroad Forums 

• Expansion to double size of North Station by November(2006)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#294161  by caduceus

MBTA3247 wrote:I haven't been there myself since last year, but looking at those photos it looks like there's a grid of rebar suspended just above the concrete. It doesn't make any sense to raise the platform heights by a few inches.
The rebar grid over one of the far pits looks to me to be just BELOW the level of the platform, and will have cement poured over it to be even with the platform.

So you can look forward to after just a few years seeing rebar through all the chipped-out holes in the new floor, unless its covered with something else... :)

Suddenly reminds me of the horrible state of the alewife garage decks...

#294179  by danib62

caduceus wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:I haven't been there myself since last year, but looking at those photos it looks like there's a grid of rebar suspended just above the concrete. It doesn't make any sense to raise the platform heights by a few inches.
The rebar grid over one of the far pits looks to me to be just BELOW the level of the platform, and will have cement poured over it to be even with the platform.

So you can look forward to after just a few years seeing rebar through all the chipped-out holes in the new floor, unless its covered with something else... :)

Suddenly reminds me of the horrible state of the alewife garage decks...
When the station is finished I don't think they're gonna leave it as a bare concrete floor. They're probably going to tile it so I don't think you need to worry about chipped out concrete floors.

Try to remember that this job is being done by the private sector so it will probably be done right, on time, and under budget.

#294196  by octr202

Also, hopefully this floor won't have any cars driving on it...

:wink:

#294451  by b&m 1566

Did they leave the rail in place in the area or remove it? It looked like in the pictures that the rail was still in place.

#294467  by sery2831

No the rail is has been removed. The rail is in the guage of the tracks further down on the platforms. And you can see the marks from them dragging the rails out. I bet the rails will sit there for years, lol...

#295080  by B&MYoshi

danib62 wrote: Try to remember that this job is being done by the private sector so it will probably be done right, on time, and under budget.
A project for the public overseen by a public entity and constructed by a private entity. Sounds like the Big Dig, eh?
Here the difference Deleware North has it's own long term fiscal interest in the success of the actual station.

I cannot wait until it's complete!

#295267  by b&m 1566

Jeremy Jacobs: the CEO of Delaware North Company (out of Buffalo, NY I believe)
Jeremy Jacobs: the owner of the Boston Bruins
Jeremy Jacobs = the Boston Bruins never winning a Stanley Cup as long as he's signing the pay checks!
Jeremy Jacobs = cheep money for location site of the new arena; that arena should have never been built in that location. Because of this the MBTA is limited to what they can do with North Station.

#297812  by GP40MC 1116

Here is what it looked the other night arround 5:30-6:00 as I was waiting for MBCR 235 to Haverhill, and I remembered to take a few shots of the on-going construction. It seems like it's always changing everytime I am in their!

Here is the last one it was bigger so i decided to put just the link http://www.geocities.com/negs424/IMG_0042.JPG

#320246  by Pete

b&m 1566 wrote:Jeremy Jacobs: the CEO of Delaware North Company (out of Buffalo, NY I believe)
Jeremy Jacobs: the owner of the Boston Bruins
Jeremy Jacobs = the Boston Bruins never winning a Stanley Cup as long as he's signing the pay checks!
Jeremy Jacobs = cheep money for location site of the new arena; that arena should have never been built in that location. Because of this the MBTA is limited to what they can do with North Station.
There should have been better requirements that something be done with the former Garden land, whose development included an easement for a new station.

The MBTA held this easement until they gave it up earlier this year in exchange for the disappointing project DNC is giving them now.

#330154  by danib62

To dig out an old thread I was just by North Station and they really seem to be progressing at quite a clip. All the track pits are filled in and they've begun moving the doors to their new locations. Some initial tile work has been done and I believe there is heat in the new station now.

#330370  by Diverging Route

danib62 wrote:To dig out an old thread I was just by North Station and they really seem to be progressing at quite a clip. All the track pits are filled in and they've begun moving the doors to their new locations. Some initial tile work has been done and I believe there is heat in the new station now.
It's still a holy-mess during PM rush hour, especially 4:45-5:45pm when there is the greatest cluster of outgoing trains. Everyone crowds onto to the small cross-passageway waiting for trains to be announced. And when trains are announced on tracks "different" than normal, the crush of passengers is incredible! Add in a Celtics or Bruins game, and it's a nightmare.

Considering the original plan was to be done "before the winter sports season," things are not moving fast enough.

#330391  by Robert Paniagua

It's also a fire hazard, what if they suddenly have to evacuate and clear everyone in the event of terrorist activity (which I hope God Forbid doesn't EVER happen) or an unnatended item? Because it would be hard to, and people could fall and others run on top of them.

#330487  by danib62

I was just there for the PM rush a couple days ago and in my opinion the situation is already much improved. Instead of everyone hanging out in the old hallway I'd say about half the people hang out there and the other half hang out by the platforms where the temporary crossover ramps are.

#330510  by sery2831

There is an offical emergency exit on the track one platform that will take you behind the garden to a safe spot. Also on the end of the 11/12 platform there is a stairway that will take you into the parking lot behind the Spaulding Hospital.