Railroad Forums 

• Expansion to double size of North Station by November(2006)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#254207  by GP40MC 1116

helium wrote:"The expansion still does not include a direct connection to the tunnel leading to the Orange and Green subway and trolley lines."

Wasn't this supposed to happen when the Green line went underground?

Well, not to be a jerk, but if people can't walk less than 50 yards not even that to the headhouse, it still is a big plus than having to walk across Causeway St.
 #254211  by GP40MC 1116

Diverging Route wrote:Here's a release from the T announcing what we're in for...

North Station Renovation

Beginning the first week of June, 2006, construction activity will be taking place at North Station as renovations begin to the concourse area.

Phase I

Some elements of the construction that passengers should be aware of are:

* Track 1 will be out of service. No trains will operate from this track for the duration of the project.
* A temporary walkway will be constructed at the platform entrance (sliding glass doors) spanning the width of the station, allowing access to and from all platforms.

Please follow the signage in the station to locate appropriate Entrance/Exit access to and from the trains.

We apologize for the inconvenience as a result of this extensive improvement project.

________[/
So since Track 1 is going to be OOS, the MBCR Trainmaster Trailer and the Crew Trailers are on Tracks 11/12 i believe, so what does that leave for train space? It will be interesting, i mean "some" MBCR trains layover @ North during off peak times, but it seems between 3:30-6PM most are in and out very quicky. Like yesterday, one set came in from Lowell, and it was turned into MBCR 233 to Haverhill within 3 minutes. Not to mention you got the downeaster which never moves at all between runs.
 #254220  by Diverging Route

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
Diverging Route wrote:Here's a release from the T announcing what we're in for...

North Station Renovation

Beginning the first week of June, 2006, construction activity will be taking place at North Station as renovations begin to the concourse area.

Phase I

Some elements of the construction that passengers should be aware of are:

* Track 1 will be out of service. No trains will operate from this track for the duration of the project.
* A temporary walkway will be constructed at the platform entrance (sliding glass doors) spanning the width of the station, allowing access to and from all platforms.

Please follow the signage in the station to locate appropriate Entrance/Exit access to and from the trains.

We apologize for the inconvenience as a result of this extensive improvement project.

________[/
So since Track 1 is going to be OOS, the MBCR Trainmaster Trailer and the Crew Trailers are on Tracks 11/12 i believe, so what does that leave for train space? It will be interesting, i mean "some" MBCR trains layover @ North during off peak times, but it seems between 3:30-6PM most are in and out very quicky. Like yesterday, one set came in from Lowell, and it was turned into MBCR 233 to Haverhill within 3 minutes. Not to mention you got the downeaster which never moves at all between runs.

Remember, with five branches plus the Downeaster, it's rare there are six departures or arrivals during the same half-hour. It may take some additional jockying (a "house job" for engineers), but it should be doable.

#254233  by octr202

The Downeaster doesn't have to sit in the station for that long layover in the evening -- if it gets crowded I'm sure MBCR could find sapce for the set to layover somewhere at BET while construction goes on...

#292674  by b&m 1566

So what's North Station looking like now? I haven't seen it since July 4th any big changes of late? I checked the mbta website but couldn't find anything in regards to this projected.

#292680  by Ron Newman

It's in the middle of construction. They are filling in the tracks nearest the building, and about half the doors to platforms are temporarily closed. You may, for instance, have to walk out the door to track 6 in order to get to track 10.

#293584  by mattster

Here are some photos I took a couple of weeks ago. They've filled in some (or maybe all by now) of the pits with metal floors and poured concrete. The strange thing is the concrete seems to be a couple of inches higher than the existing platform.

#293585  by GP40MC 1116

mattster wrote:Here are some photos I took a couple of weeks ago. They've filled in some (or maybe all by now) of the pits with metal floors and poured concrete. The strange thing is the concrete seems to be a couple of inches higher than the existing platform.
That is odd Matt, that the concrete is higher than the platform... Hmm Maybie they'll even it out. Anywho, nice pictures!

#293660  by MBTA3247

I haven't been there myself since last year, but looking at those photos it looks like there's a grid of rebar suspended just above the concrete. It doesn't make any sense to raise the platform heights by a few inches.

#294108  by gt7348b

Unless it is an ADA ramp.

#294140  by MBTA3247

gt7348b wrote:Unless it is an ADA ramp.
For what? IIRC, the platforms are already more or less level with the coach floors.

#294150  by danib62

MBTA3247 wrote:I haven't been there myself since last year, but looking at those photos it looks like there's a grid of rebar suspended just above the concrete. It doesn't make any sense to raise the platform heights by a few inches.
Remember that the area that they are raising isn't going to be a platform in the end. That's the part that is going to be part of the station. It will have no effect on boarding.

#294159  by caduceus

Am I the only one that sees the concrete that is higher than the platform is the pillars between the doors to the platforms? Otherwise I don't see what everyone is fussing about...everything else looks level.