Railroad Forums 

• Expansion to double size of North Station by November(2006)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#242642  by Ron Newman

What I don't understand is: why can't they build a one-story building right now on the Old Garden site, containing a proper waiting room? Then build the rest of the new development on top of it later, once they decide what it will be.

#242683  by sery2831

Well the reason I am sure nothing was built out there because no one really knew what would end up there. I am sure now they dont have to have a station there, you will see a hotel or something announced to be built there! The only good thing I see for us train crews is we are supposed to get a crew area like south station and not two trailers!

#242723  by Diverging Route

Ron Newman wrote:What I don't understand is: why can't they build a one-story building right now on the Old Garden site, containing a proper waiting room? Then build the rest of the new development on top of it later, once they decide what it will be.
Because "they" havn't found the right economic model yet. When a developer finds it, there will be a building. But for now, thank goodness this is on the fast-track. We need not only the conveniences that will be put in, but the absolute dangerous conditions that can exist. Ever been there for:
* Late trains, winter weather, and a sporting event?
* Patriots parade?
* Rock concert?
* School vacation kiddie show?

If this was a private space, the fire department and building inspectors would have closed it down long ago for exceeding legal capacity.

#244473  by Pete

I'm surprised there's been no discussion of the fact that the Celtics renewed their lease a week earlier. I'll bet there was some agreement on improving crowd flow in North Station as part of it.

#244478  by Diverging Route

Pete wrote:I'm surprised there's been no discussion of the fact that the Celtics renewed their lease a week earlier. I'll bet there was some agreement on improving crowd flow in North Station as part of it.
A regular Celtics game isn't when the biggest problem occurs. The biggies:
  • "Patriots Day" (i.e. celebration when the Pats win the Superbowl)
  • When two or more trains get delayed during PM rush hour
  • Ice Capades during school break
  • Snow storms
  • A snow storm on a day with a concert and/or sporting event and trains have broken down

#244690  by b&m 1566

Ron Newman wrote:What I don't understand is: why can't they build a one-story building right now on the Old Garden site, containing a proper waiting room? Then build the rest of the new development on top of it later, once they decide what it will be.
Though I can see your point market value wise its not a good idea. If a developer builds a hotel in that spot or an office building; having a train station as your lobby is not what a developer wants. They want a nice spacious lobby with marble floors and counter tops with "thingy majigs" hanging from the ceiling, a nice spacious quite lobby maybe with a water fall and stuff.... not a waiting area for people getting on a train. I wonder if this was the reason why nobody wanted to develop on it in the first place. Another good point someone made was that you would still have people walking through from the waiting area to the platform and although you wouldn't have people standing and waiting you would still have the people walking through.

#244734  by Robert Paniagua

Snow storms

Not just that, but any kinds of Inclement weather, such as the rains we're having right now, which could hamper operations.

#251805  by b&m 1566

Diverging Route wrote:Orange paint lettering has been applied to (at least) track 8's end at North Station, indicating "cut here" and "rear of bunter here."

As far as I can tell, this is the very first indication of the construction to come (other than the plans hanging on easels at either end of the waiting room).
I wonder if work is going to be done at night when everything is closed or during the day.
 #252067  by Diverging Route

Here's a release from the T announcing what we're in for...

North Station Renovation

Beginning the first week of June, 2006, construction activity will be taking place at North Station as renovations begin to the concourse area.

Phase I

Some elements of the construction that passengers should be aware of are:

* Track 1 will be out of service. No trains will operate from this track for the duration of the project.
* A temporary walkway will be constructed at the platform entrance (sliding glass doors) spanning the width of the station, allowing access to and from all platforms.

Please follow the signage in the station to locate appropriate Entrance/Exit access to and from the trains.

We apologize for the inconvenience as a result of this extensive improvement project.

_________________________________________________________________[/
 #252141  by StefanW

I was making a dash for #185 6:45 tonight and got a glance at orange spray paint on track 1 too. Same thing there too - "cut here" and "barricade" and a mark for the bumper.

If I wasn't running for it I would have stopped and tried to get a sense of the new space. It did seem like quite a comfortable amount of added area.

I hope the new work doesn't block the sight of the infamous "do not walk on ceiling" signs that face downward. I get a chuckle from those almost every morning!

#253646  by danib62

I was at North Station yesterday afternoon and noticed that all the bumper blocks had been moved back. I assume it is where they will stay.

#253652  by trainhq

Yeah, I saw it too. They've moved them back quite a
ways. The expanded station should be a pretty respectable size!

#253656  by TomNelligan

What's truly remarkable about this project is how quickly it has gone from proposal to construction. I guess that's what can happen when private money is involved and the real estate is already under MBTA control. By contrast, I happened to be looking last night at a 1998 issue of Railpace that carried the announcement of passenger service restoration to Fall River and New Bedford. According to the MBTA, trains would be running in 2002... guess they might be just a bit late on that one.

#253707  by Ron Newman

MOVE MASSACHUSETTS

June 2006 Membership Meeting
Friday, June 16th, 8:10-9:30 AM*
Brown Rudnick Berlack Israels
One Financial Center, Eighteenth Floor, Dewey Square, Boston
(across from South Station)

North Station Expansion Project

with

Chris Maher
Vice President
Boston Garden Development Corporation

Mark Boyle
Director of Real Estate
Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority

All Interested Parties Are Invited to Attend & Participate
Coffee, Tea and Juice will be served.

Please RSVP by return e-mail to [email protected]
to be added to the visitor's list for building services.
Photo ID is required for entry to building.

Forward this notice to other interested individuals or organizations.

*Access to the eighteenth floor and conference room is not available before 8:00 a.m.

To be removed from this mailing send your request to [email protected]

Dan Wilson
Executive Director
Move Massachusetts
PH 617.720.4334
FX 617.720.0404
[email protected]

#254082  by Pete

If anyone attends this meeting (unfortunately I can't), please 1. find out how/if the ball has been dropped on creating a less slapdash transit center with integration with the street and neighborhood, and 2. report back here with some kind of summation of what's discussed. It'd be much appreciated.