Railroad Forums 

• that exit fare

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#15843  by helium

i'm sure this was somwhere on the original forums but....

what is the story with the exit fare at quincy adams/b'tree? why bother? what if you get on from the orange or green line? you have no idea until you get on the train that you need more $. and what happens if you don't have any? do they make you ride around forever?

#15852  by BC Eagle

Well, let me tell you of the story of a man named Charlie...

#15893  by vanshnookenraggen

Somewhat on this topic, why do you pay more for the D line? I can understand if you paid more at Riverside and maybe more at some other stations but why would you have to pay more for Res - Fenway?

#15951  by JayZ

vanshnookenraggen wrote:Somewhat on this topic, why do you pay more for the D line? I can understand if you paid more at Riverside and maybe more at some other stations but why would you have to pay more for Res - Fenway?
'Cause it's faster.

MUCH faster.

#15963  by jrc520

but also very crowded. I prefer the route 61 to get to Res at rush hour, simply because it is not as packed. Route 4 is awful. Route 61 is so much better. I'd rather take my time and have space, than get there fast and be *ick* afterwords. of course, nothing compares with route 62... THAT is slow.

As for the fare, it's the longest route. 12 miles from one end to another I think. You can't walk it either. Thus, it's worth it. I've walked 39, 57, 61, 62, and 69, and they are all easy compared with 4. just, trust me on this one :-p

#15964  by ckb

Yeah, in some sense, the D branch to Reservoir is almost like an express line for the C branch to Cleveland Circle. I think it is just a small incentive to convince people to take the C (or even the E) line. The real traffic on the D line comes from beyond Reservoir - especially during rush hour.

On the other hand, I wonder how much of an effect the extra quarter really has on the traffic between Fenway and Reservoir - especially considering any monthly T-pass is valid there. (FWIW, the monthly combo pass is good for the trip from Riverside - I took advantage of this first hand on a little excursion I took over the weekend)

#16007  by fm535

Riding into Braintree so many times per week, I find it amusing just observing: (1) How many people just cross the platform to the next out-going train...people who fell asleep, or the homeless passing time and staying dry, and things like that. (2) The look of horror on some people's faces that the exit turnstyle just won't let them thru, and they can't figure out they need to pay, until AFTER a few attempts of slamming their crotches and legs. (3) Not one student, exiting in the afternoon, ever does anything but jumps that turnstyle. If they just had ANY employee (not just a uniformed T cop) standing their during the busier afternoon traffic, they could avoid a lot of lost revenue.

#16013  by caduceus

It occurs to me that if they increased the _inbound_ (whoops - there's that term again... :) ) fare from those stations, and eliminated the exit fare, they wouldn't lose _any_ money. And probably still increase revenue even if it wasn't increased equal to whatever the exit fare is...but somehow it would probably be interpreted as Yet Another Fare Increase...

#16018  by helium

while these are all very entertaining repsonses, nobody has actually said WHY there is an exit fare...

#16043  by octr202

Its a distance fare zone. The exit fare on Braintree and the high fares on the D line in newton are the way of collecting the higher zone charge.

Back for the 2000 fare increase there was talk of an exit fare at the last two or three D Line stops. that went over like a lead balloon...

#16060  by helium

than what is this all about?

Mattapan Line Inbound
exiting before Ashmont
90¢

Mattapan Line, Inbound
connecting at Ashmont

Free

you get a free ride all the way to alewife if you get on in mattapan?

#16066  by helium

the T loses so much money on these free rides. the worst one is the free greenline west of kenmore. how many students get on in allston that they're losing potential cash from? and don't go saying it's too crowded, take too long, etc. otherwise it would be free eastbound as well. if they had just started charging the westbound they would've not had to raise the fare. and while i'm at it, how about that you can pay 90 cents if you get on the silver lie, and transfer for free to the T? if i lived near chinatown, i'd never start the journey underground.

#16068  by Robert Paniagua

Actually not, you come out outside the turnstyles from the trolley, and you still have to deposit a token (1.25) in to get to the Red Line actual subway for Alewife.

#16125  by trainhq

I got stuck on that in Braintree last summer;didn't know you needed a token to get out when I got on.
Isn't that what the old Charlie MTA song was about? I did a quick turnstile jump on it. They
at least ought to tell you when you go in that you
need an extra token to get out!

#16127  by octr202

Just to further explain what Rob mentioned, the fare structure on the Mattapan line means that it is a no additional charge ride for anyone connecting to or from the Red Line. If someone rides it locally (i.e., inbound exit before Ashmont) they pay for their trip then, but if you're going onto the subway at Ashmont you pay for your Red Line trip at Ashmont. The same thing could be accomplished by having riders pay a full fare on boarding the trolley and then having direct platform access at Ashmont, but that would have required seperating the trolley platform from the busway and public access from the street.